FOD families who moved to Queensland Australia in the 19th C (General)

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Friday, September 09, 2016, 03:47 (2758 days ago)

Hi

If any one is trying to research FOD Ancestors who may have moved to Australia, there is a fabulous free site called "Trove" which contains digitised newspapers among many other items of interest.
http://trove.nla.gov.au
When researching my Ancestors in Brisbane, I found a list of residents who were eligible to vote in the Queensland State Elections for the seat of Enoggera in the year 1887. The edition of the Newspaper is as follows.
The Telegraph (Brisbane, Qld. : 1872 - 1947) Thursday 21 October 1886 p 5 Advertising
The information listed was:-
Name
Residence
Qualification
Situation of property
Polling District.

For my Ancestor, this information together with a subsequent edition helped me to pinpoint the street in which he lived. I have driven past that street thousands of times without knowing. Pretty amazing really. At the time Brisbane had only been settled by Europeans for around sixty two years and was still very much undeveloped.

No promises, but there may be other Newspaper editions covering different years and Electorates.
I trust someone may find this information helpful.

Sid Toomey
(Family History Addict)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread