MACHEN Family and SMITH Family Letter 1873-1889 (General)

by jevans @, USA, Saturday, September 10, 2016, 02:18 (2757 days ago)

Hello Friends,
I hope this is an appropriate posting. I was going through some old letters from my GGG Grandmother, Mary Smith, Hillersland to her daughter Jane Smith who had emigrated to the US in 1869. The letter would have been written in the 1873-1889 time period. the letter may be of interest to the Machen family. There is an interesting reference to a Machen marriage taking place at Bicknor where there had not been a Machen bride for 100 years! Several Machen names are mentioned. There is also an abbreviation which I am not familiar with. It is used in reference to the Machen women. It isn't Miss, as that was used as is. It looks more like Mifs or Mils. Mistress? If anyone know what this may be, please let me know.

If anyone would like me to copy the letter and email it, I would be happy to do so, although it is quite faded so I am not sure how well it would copy. There was no punctuation in the letter so I have taken the liberty of inserting where needed for easier reading.

Thank you
Janet Evans

Here is the letter.

First page:
Henry (Smith) has 3 nice fine boys. Carries are 3. They grow up so fast. polys (Polly - not sure who this is) 3, you have seen. She had a dear little boy that died but he is better off. Send me m-- - have all Johns --- one is Elens (Dykes). The school mistress living with her husband(?). There is a bit (?)of lace. Harriett will send some pictures nesct (next) time, as Elen has sent some perhaps it should be too heavy now.
Dear Jane – write soon I won’t keep you so long I hope next time. I think Poly and Annie is writing now. I must conclude. With kind love from all & your affectionate mother. Mary Smith. Write soon. We have had a long, hard winter. It is beautiful now.

Next page:
There is to be a grand weding here tomorrow the 7 of April. One of the Mifs/Mils wo-s-mon? They say there has not been married a lady at Bicknor Church for a 100 years that was Mrs. Machen the present Mr. Machens grandmother, Mifs (?) Sophia was turned ninety when she died. Mifs Charlotte, Mifs Lucy Machen and another sister and their Aunt, Miss Machen that lived at Bicknor are dead. Dear Jane you must not think about my likeness if I live this next summer I will try and have it done. We talked of it last summer and that was all. you must give my love and kisses to the dear little children. I should like to be --- them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread