Theodore Jacobson (continued) (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, October 01, 2016, 14:10 (2736 days ago) @ little dover

You're very welcome, in fact please accept MY thanks for your unusual and interesting query, just wish I could have been more helpful ! Given what I foolishly thought was an unusual name, I must admit I started off thinking it might be an easier line to follow, just goes to prove just how international Cardiff's dockland population was in those days !

Are you saying the family I traced to Bargoed is definitely your Theodore ?
I still struggle with Theodore's change of job, although I suppose having such a large and young family that he had to stay with them rather than go to sea, especially given the traumatic circumstances of the loss of their mother. Also, IF he was on the "Liberal" when she was wrecked, as her Master perhaps he was found at fault so couldn't or didn't want to sail again ? Have you researched the old newspapers for this ?

Also, do you know why his place of birth was given as Plymouth in 1891 ?. Is there any truth in this ?. Clearly in Pearl Street at that time there was no "need" to cover-up his background, as might happen for instance with German-sounding surnames in the 1911 census. Perhaps the census official made a mistake; as "George Hobbs" really doesn't sound like the name of someone born in "Christonsore Norway" - maybe the two men's place of birth was accidentally mixed-up, perhaps during the confusion of whether to record Theodore or not (assuming it is him on the "Liberal" in Boston that night ??)

Finally, have you researched his second wife Mary Louisa Falle ?. I ask just out of curiosity as at first glance I thought her surname might be Norwegian or similar. However a quick look on Ancestry suggests she may actually have a Channel Islands background.

??

Hopefully you can please fill me in with some of these details, and sorry once again for leaving more questions rather than answering your own !

Good luck, and thanks again, Jeff.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread