Charles Cole and Poyner and two Richard Barnards? (General)

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Saturday, October 01, 2016, 23:24 (2780 days ago) @ macast

I’ve examined the (numerous) prison records of one Richard BARNARD on Ancestry in some detail. A few things emerge:-

His abode is often recorded as May Hill but latterly as Taynton. When I was growing up in Newent that whole area, including Taynton, May Hill Village, Longhope and Huntley was frequently referred to simply as May Hill so the designation isn’t definitive.

No-one has anything good to say about him. He is variously described as lazy, indolent, disgusting, disorderly, a liar and a hypocrite. Crimes include vagrancy, theft, trespass and absconding from the workhouse. He has a number of convictions for refusing to work at the Newent Union.

In more than one record he is recorded as being married to an Eliza BARNARD although another gives his wife as May A BARNAR?. This is at variance with the Glos. Archives workhouse records where, whenever mentioned, he is recorded as single. It is also at variance with a possible marriage at Taynton to Maria SPENCER in 1827 although I cannot find any children of this marriage or any definite trace of a Maria BARNARD thereafter. An Eliza BARNARD is recorded on this site as being buried at Taynton,

Record_ID 44202
Entry_Number 710
Year 1885
Month Apr
Day 6
Surname BARNARD
Forenames Eliza
Residence Mayhill Taynton
Age_at_death 66 years
Officiating_Minister Alfred Drake Bagshawe Rector
Event Burial
Cause_of_death
Memoranda
Notes
Register_Reference P326 IN 1/9
Page_No 89
Parish_Chapel Taynton

No traceable marriage though.

Just to confuse things further one of the prison entries from Ancestry gives him an alias and says he has a child,

Littledean House of Correction
Date of Admission: Aug 13 1849
Prisoner’s Number in Index: 1093
Name: Richard BARNETT alias BARNARD
Late residence and trade: May Hill, Hurdle Maker
Height 5’ ?’’
Hair: Carroty?
Eyes: Hazle
Visage: Round
Complexion: Fresh
Other Marks: None
Cause of commitment: Damage on 19 July 1849 at the Parish of Tainton. Wilfully commit damage to and upon certain Under Wood – property of John PROBYN.
By whom committed: R.F Onslow Esq.
Sentence passed: One Cal Month hard labour or pay 13/6 fine for damage and 7/6 costs.
Expiration of term: 13 Sep
When discharged or removed: 13 Sep
By what authority: Served his time
Previously known character, habits and connexions: A married man with one child. A very indolent? man.
Convicted before and how often: 4 times
Conduct in prison: Good

I am sure he must be the same Richard BARNARD recorded frequently as admitted or discharged from Newent Union Workhouse by Gloucestershire Archives. The consistent association with Taynton makes me favour him as the Richard BARNARD associated with Elizabeth POYNER. However, this still takes me no further with Elizabeth herself.

The other candidate might be this one,

Record_ID 392110
Entry_Number
Year 1807
Month Dec
Day 20
Parents_Surname BARNARD
Child_Forenames Richard
Fathers_Forenames Thomas
Mothers_Forenames Lettice
Mothers_Surname
Residence