New Zealand Inn, Newnham (General)

by JaneyH ⌂ @, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Sunday, October 02, 2016, 17:23 (2763 days ago)

I've just learned the value of repeating an internet search that previously yielded little of any use.

My 2x great-grandfather, George Godwin Bowdler, was briefly the landlord of the New Zealand Inn, located on the road from Newnham up to Littledean (he is listed there in the 1911 Census). Imagine my delight when Google kindly pointed me to an article from the 'Forest Review' newspaper website dated 7 September 2016 showing not only a photo of the said pub but also a potted history mentioning my ancestor. (Sorry, I've tried to link a web address but technology has failed me on this occasion!)

If anyone knows of Andrew Bluett from Gloucester (the author of the article) or Roy Close (who is credited as having provided the photo in a separate feature on 17 August) could you ask them to get in touch? I would very much like to obtain a good quality copy of the photo, along with any other related information. I've already got copies of newspaper articles relating to the transfer of the pub licence from Andrew Bluett's ancestor to mine in 1910, and from mine to someone by the name of Terwyn Mitchell in 1912.

Many thanks, Janey

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread