Wintles of Mitcheldean 1800s and before (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 21:56 (2738 days ago) @ ChrisW

Hi Chris, here's another couple of HARRIS records to add to the family group (don't think you've already included them in this thread, apologies if you have and I've missed them).

Record_ID: 42196
Entry_Number: 511
Year: 1835
Month: May
Day: 27
Parents_Surname: WINTLE
Child_Forenames: Edwin
Fathers_Forenames: Thomas
Mothers_Forenames: Sophie Harris
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Mitchel Dean
Officiating_Minister: George Cox Curate
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P 220 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 64
Parish_Chapel: Mitcheldean
Soundex: W534

I first found the above on Familysearch/LDS site, which also has;

Name Alfred John Wintle
Gender Male
Christening Date 17 Dec 1837
Christening Place MITCHELDEAN,GLOUCESTER,ENGLAND
Father's Name Thomas Wintle
Mother's Name Sophia Harris

I cannot find a PR for this one.
Interestingly, GlosBMD gives this birth as;

Birth Details
Child Surname Child Forename Father Surname Mother Surname Mother's Former Name Year District Office Register Entry
WINTLE Alfred John WINTLE WINTLE COLEMAN 1837 Forest of Dean Westbury on Severn, Newnham 1 43

Searching him on Ancestry finds Amanda Wooley's public tree, in which she includes a transcript from their Family Bible giving his birth as 17th November 1837.

The tree goes onto show the Marriage of Thomas Wintle and Sophia Harris Coleman was at 25 Feb 1833 at Hempstead, Gloucester. They were therefore married some months before their first child Thomas was born.

Amanda ("Kimbad123") hasn't attached any media records to support this marriage date, I presume it comes from her family's own Bible records. # Curiously her tree only shows one sibling for Thomas, Alfred John, with no mention of Edwin ?

Finally, the tree shows Sophia Harris Coleman was born in Mitcheldean on 17 June 1808, as per the "base-born" PR you posted. It states her parents were John Coleman born 1792 in Longhope & Elizabeth Harris b 1783 in nearby Blaisdon, these dates appear to come from their 1851 Census records, at his 20 acre Mount Farm at Nottwood, Blaisdon. Clearly John was very young IF he was the actual biological father. I cannot find any PRs in this site's database to fit their marriage or Elizabeth's birth, but this might be John's;

Record_ID: 391829
Entry_Number:
Year: 1790
Month: Oct
Day: 10
Parents_Surname: COLEMAN
Child_Forenames: John
Fathers_Forenames: William
Mothers_Forenames: Elizabeth
Mothers_Surname:
Residence:
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P206 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 114
Parish_Chapel: Longhope
Soundex: C455

The PRs show eleven John Colemans buried in Longhope, this fits ours the best, he's present on the 1871 census but not later;

Record_ID: 21911
Entry_Number: 102
Year: 1872
Month: Mar
Day: 19
Surname: COLEMAN
Forenames: John
Residence: Longhope
Age_at_death: 82
Officiating_Minister: J Davies Rector of Abbenhall
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P206 IN 1/11
Page_No: 13
Parish_Chapel: Longhope
Soundex: C455

(So born abt 1790)

# Later update.
Searching Ancestry finds the image of the above 1837 Marriage Record by Banns for Thos' and Sophia from the Bishop's Transcript Records, the Record also names witnesses Charles Bailey, Elizabeth Watkins and George Reade.
I cannot find any Marriage record for Sophia's parents John & Elizabeth.
Searching Ancestry gives this POSSIBLE record for Elizabeth Harris, their best "fit" by far, but not a rare name so ??..

Name: Elizabeth Harris
Event Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 20 Jul 1783
Baptism Place: Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England
Parish as it Appears: Westbury On Severn
Register Type: Bishop's Transcripts
Father: John Harris
Mother: Hannah Harris

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread