Elizabeth EACUPS 1849 Littledean (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 21:30 (2696 days ago) @ dcolley

Thanks for these details.

1. The variations in spelling from Hiccups to Eacups is interesting. Was this related to literacy or an intentional name change?

2. On one ancestry post for Moses Leadbeater, a William Helps is notes as grandfather. I now believe that this should be one and the same William Eacups. Can you confirm?

Thanks.

Hi,

1. re the literacy question, yes I think you're right, especially as Foresters drop their "H"s - I doubt the name change was intentional. I must apologise as I don't know where in the world you are (I suspect Canada given your post and times of posting ?), and I don't know how well you know the Forest and it's dialect. Assuming like many of the forum's users you're from abroad and maybe new to the Forest, then hopefully this old post of mine will help you. I've just checked out the links and thankfully they are all still working for me in the UK, hoepfully they will for you too, especially the audio clips.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?id=45039

2. When you say "ancestry post", do you mean a post on an Ancestry website forum, or one of their public trees, or what ?. Eitherway, I cannot properly answer without seeing it and in a full context - I'm not an expert or researcher about the Eacups family, so would have to research from scratch. If you can post more details, or an internet link, that would help us. However I will say that we've seen plenty of evidence to treat public trees with caution, sadly many researchers are too happy to copy other people's research without checking it's accuracy, sometimes errors do occur and are sometimes perpetuated to become "set in stone".

Hope this helps, Jeff

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread