Elizabeth EACUPS 1849 Littledean (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, December 01, 2016, 15:06 (2696 days ago) @ dcolley

Hi Don, thanks for clarifying. I've found the Familysearch site entry you refer, for completeness for the records/thread here is their transcription.

1881 Census for East Dean (aka Cinderford), W-o-S District, Glos

Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Moses Leadbeater Head M 35 Collier Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England
Elizabeth Leadbeater Wife F 36 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England
John Leadbeater Son M 10 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England
Martha Leadbeater Daughter F 8 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England
Timothy Leadbeater Son M 6 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England
William Leadbeater Son M 3 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England
Fred Leadbeater Son M 1 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England
William Helps Grandfather M 74 Widower General labourer Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England

My first thought on reading your reply was maybe there was a transcription error. When I started my FH studies abt 6 years ago, I was initially wary of the LatterDay Saints aka FamilySearch site, as many text books etc urged caution with as it was "very prone to transcription errors". However, since then I've used the site a lot and found it very useful indeed, not least because it's so user-friendly and also free. I've also seen several examples of subscription sites such as Ancestry also making transcription errors, some of which truly beggar belief.

However in this instance I've looked up the actual Census image on Ancestry and the entry for William clearly reads "Helps". As to what the Census official heard when he wrote down the name, who knows ?.
The Ancestry site offers other Records which they feel may be linked to William, including the following, at this moment I'm unsure as to if it is definitely your man.

1871 Census East Dean Glos.
Household schedule number Given Name Surname Relationship Age Estimated Birth Year Gender Birth City Birth County Birth Country

99 William Eacups Head Widower 58 1813 Male Gen'l labourer Upton St Leonards Gloucestershire England
99 Henry Eacups Son 18 1853 Male Cinderford Gloucestershire England
99 Emma Eacups Daughter 14 1857 Female Cinderford Gloucestershire England
100 Charles Eacups Head 32 1839 Male Upton St Leonard Gloucestershire England
100 Rachel Eacups Wife 25 1846 Female Upton St Leonard Gloucestershire England
100 Mary Ann Eacups Daughter 3 1868 Female Cinderford Gloucestershire England
100 William Eacups Son 1 1870 Male Cinderford Gloucestershire England

From memory I think this is the same man, thankfully it's a rare surname locally hwoever it's spelt. As the following extracts show, I've looked at several adjacent pages of this 1871 Census trying to find clues to street names etc to find exactly where William lived, hence I accidentally found these other people who maybe related. I'm a little bemused as to why the Census offical hasn't recorded street names, hard to believe but maybe they hadn't been named by then, or even in the 1881 Census, I need to get my old maps out !?. Hence I've highlighted the Inns as they tend to stay put while people move house. (NB the Household Schedule Numbers do NOT relate to physical Street etc numbers, but are merely the order the official visited the houses. This Census runs to 44 pages and over 200 Schedule numbers).

1871 Census East Dean Glos.
Household schedule number Given Name Surname Relationship Age Estimated Birth Year Gender Birth City Birth County Birth Country

81 John Leadbeater Head 39 1832 Male Coalminer Mitcheldean Gloucestershire England
81 Martha Leadbeater Wife 35 1836 Female Cinderford Gloucestershire England
81 Moses Leadbeater Brother Lodger 26 1845 Coalminer Male Cinderford Gloucestershire England
81 Elizabeth Leadbeater Sister-in-law 22 1849 Female Cinderford Gloucestershire England
81 John Leadbeater Son 1 Month 1871 Male Cinderford Gloucestershire England

97 Timothy Leadbeater Head 29 1842 Collier Male Cinderford Gloucestershire England
97 Elizabeth Leadbeater Wife 29 1842 Female Ellwood Gloucestershire England
97 Elizabeth Leadbeater Daughter 3 1868 Female Cinderford Gloucestershire England
97 James Hall Lodger 28 1843 Male Clearwell Gloucestershire England
97 Sarah Jones Visitor 31 1840 Female Ellwood Gloucestershire England

122 "Nags Head Inn" Henry Jenkins Head 55 1816 Male Quarry man Cinderford Gloucestershire England
122 Sophia Jenkins Wife 49 1822 Female Newnham Gloucestershire England
122 Thomas Jenkins Son 6 1865 Male Cinderford Gloucestershire England

140 "Dog Inn" William Jones Head 44 1827 Male Carpenter English Bicknor Gloucestershire England
140 Mary Ann Jones Wife 47 1824 Female Little Dean; Hill Gloucestershire England
140 Elizabeth Edwards Servant 20 1851 Female Coleford Gloucestershire England

The Nags Head has recently closed, it's just off Church Road, at it's halfway point between the town centre and St John's Church. The Dog Inn is long-closed, it was on the west end of Victoria Street not far from the Nags. The vast majority of occupations recorded in the adjacent Census pages agree with this placement, being colliers or iron foundry workers. Their workplaces were readily located below Church Rd, towards and in the valley of Cinderford Brook which runs south thro' Ruspidge and north thro' Bilson, all as clearly shown on this O.S. map from 1883.
http://maps.nls.uk/view/101453397

Thanks Don for leading me to the Dog Inn entry because this is an addition to my own researches, regarding the many William Jones in the Forest including several on my paternal line, some of which were innkeepers, and now I've found one in my hometown !.
Pictures of both pubs are on the GlosPubs site, cannot give direct links but enter just the pub name in the search box and you'll eventually find the relevant pages.
http://www.gloucestershirepubs.co.uk/AllGlosPubsDatabase/AllGlosPubs_view.php

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread