George Robinson b1828 in Mitcheldean/Longhope area (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, January 14, 2017, 11:50 (2652 days ago) @ probinson

Hi again,
Out of curiosity I've just been looking at your online tree, and I was initially pleased to see your full name, as have often wondered what the P stood for. When at school in Berry Hill in the 70s I had a mate from that area who shared your name, and with my belief/guess that Robinson wasn't a particularly common name in the Forest, I wondered if you were the same gent, however clearly not as I recall he had Northumberland roots, ah well.

Anyway, moving on, I hope you don't mind but as an experiment I've been trying to assess how the FindMyPast site compares with Ancestry etc, and I thought I'd try and find your Hannah Marina Drew and maybe her parents Joseph Drew and Eleanor Niblett in the 1841 Census, a task I thought might be straightforward, however !..

Meanwhile, in the unlikely case it helps you, I did find these records which you haven't yet posted onto your tree.

From this site's PRs, image is now on Ancestry,

Record_ID: 16917
Entry_Number: 60
Year: 1825
Month: Feb
Day: 5
Grooms_Surname: DREWE
Grooms_Forenames: Joseph
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition: [not stated]
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: of this parish
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: NIBLETT
Brides_Forenames: Eleanor
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: [not stated]
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: of this parish
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both mark
Witness_1: Mark of John Niblett
Witness_2: Mark of Sarah Drewe
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Richard Davies Rector
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P310 IN 1/9
Page_Number: 20
Parish_Chapel: Staunton
Soundex_Groom: D600
Soundex_Bride: N143

This suggests that witness John Niblett MAY be Eleanor's father's name. This suggests the following Baptism may be relevant, from this site's PRs albeit needed to use the Advanced Search for all Baptisms c1803 surname starting "Nib". Odd as I was expecting the Eleanor to have maybe become Helena etc as we often see in the Fod.

Hope this helps, does Hewelsfield seem possible, perhaps they travelled north from there up the Wye to reach Staunton ?.

Record_ID 288762
Entry_Number
Year 1803
Month May
Day 22
Parents_Surname NIBLET
Child_Forenames Elinor
Fathers_Forenames John
Mothers_Forenames Margaret
Mothers_Surname
Residence
Occupation
Officiating_Minister Thomas Edmunds Curate
Event Baptism
Memoranda
Notes
Register_Reference P175 IN 1/2
Page_Number 34
Parish_Chapel Hewelsfield
Soundex N143

Re my "trial" of the FMP site, I must say I'm disappointed so far, but early days yet....

---------------

PS ref the possible Hewelsfield link, I now see that by searching this forum for "Niblett Hewelsfield" there are a few prior threads linking Hewelsfield to the Staunton/Bicknor etc area, these may be worth your studying.

PPS And while Googling the above, I see this Ancestry Board post that appears to back-up my findings re Eleanor, and maybe some new living relatives for you to chat with ?
http://boards.ancestry.ca/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=76&p=surnames.niblett

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread