Lydney War Memorial & Thomas' Tinplate Works (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 17:25 (2634 days ago) @ tomsand

Hi again Tom,
regarding the book that I mentioned earlier, "The Tinplaters of Lydney and Lydbrook" by Bryan Rendell and Keith Childs, I've found my copy and can confirm it lists around 70 names of the men from Lydney Tinplate works who enlisted at the start of WW1. It doesn't give any names of those who didn't survive the war, and no mention of any Memorial, which seems odd given that the authors have clearly researched the whole subject very thoroughly indeed using an impressive variety of sources of reference inlcuding the local newspapers and past mill workers etc etc.
I strongly recommend you try and find a copy, the Glos Libriaries website shows a few copies on shelves in branches across the Forest, it really is good reading for anyone with any interest in this subject.
https://capitadiscovery.co.uk/gloslibraries/items?query=tinplaters+of+lydney

Alternatively, although it's quite rare to buy secondhand, I see a copy is currently being listed on a wellknown online auction website.

Good luck with your researches, if you find more info then please consider revisiting and updating this thread in the future, thanks Jeff.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread