Robert George (Joe) Meek b. 1929 (General)

by Mariondavy, Saturday, February 04, 2017, 13:59 (2630 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jeff,
I have no doubt that we shall find that we are distantly related, but there are so many Meeks in the Forest of Dean, that, unless you would like to send me more info. about your family tree, I’m afraid I cannot be of much help. I traced my own family tree from 1660 to my father in 1901 and discovered that they had a long tradition of mining, but never seemed to move far from the Drybrook area. I wonder if (long arm of coincidence) one of them may have sought work in Tamworth, returning to the Forest later. I did a short detour into another branch, and found that , in the 1841 census John Meek (age 37) had a son George (age 6months) and was working as a farm labourer in the Lea Bailey area. The1881 census would make George about 40 . (pure conjecture but maybe worth a try) The Meek tree is really frustrating …..too many branches & too many Josephs.
In answer to your second query……..we shall be in the Forest for a few days next week and visiting Ruardean so I will make enquiries about David Meek. Was his father Maynard , in the army during WW2 ?
Good hunting!!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread