Query re Registering Birth & subsequent Death in Hospital ? (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, February 11, 2017, 16:55 (2602 days ago) @ probinson

Thanks very much for your reply, very interesting.
Re searching the records, yes I've tried all sorts and from all angles that I can think of, including searching for just the surname and then just "female" as was sometimes recorded. However, as far as I can see, the events have not been included within the general-access records within FreeBMD etc. To be honest it's often intrigued me, particularly back in the early days of Registration in the 1840s, that many researchers seem to assume that ALL BMD events were definitely recorded, when the onus was on the parents to do so, who might have to travel a fari way at their cost and perhaps losing wages, and despite occasionally having something to hide if the child was born out of wedlock, for example.
As you say it's possible my brother-in-law's story has been misinterpreted in some ways, altho I do think that's unlikely.

Thanks again for your input. If I was still resident in the Forest (I can dream..), then I'd have visited the Dilke and asked the medical staff themselves what the likely records might be.

J

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread