Robert George (Joe) Meek b. 1929 (General)

by Mariondavy, Sunday, February 19, 2017, 18:11 (2620 days ago) @ Mariondavy

Hi Brian,
Thank you for the information re: the Meek family tree which you posted on the Forum recently, including a potted version of the family tree of Joseph Meek 1782 & Hannah Cooke. I have researched my family tree back to 1660. And having spent several hours trawling through The Diocesan archives in Glo’ster I believe the result to be fairly accurate. For interest, if you wish…..John Meek 1660 m. Elinor. Son John 1682 m.Clare. known children…… 1.John 1707 m Elizabeth. Son JOSEPH 1749 m.Ann Harris………..2 .James 1711 m.???? Son JOSEPH 1750 …….3.Francis 1717 m.Rachel .son JOSEPH 1746……….4.William 1721 m.Alice. Son JOSEPH 1747
Having established that Joseph ( 1749 ) was my g.g.g.grandfather it was relatively easy to follow the line through to my father (1902 )…….from the time of g.g,grand father (1782), who married Hannah Cooke, most were miners in the Drybrook/Harrow Hill region. I was somewhat confused to find that another Joseph had married Hannah Baldwin at about the same time!! But further research showed that this line were all agricultural workers in the Lea Bailey/Aston Ingham region. Thanks to your in-put, I now know who Jo’s g.g.grandfather was!! Out of curiosity, we once went to Newent and saw a plaque to his memory in the town, and also his grave in the cemetery.
Genealogy fascinates me , and from my own family tree I have discovered several other intriguing branches going as far back as Joseph & Hannah. However, tracing my relationship to the families of dad’s 11 brothers and sisters, I found that dad’s brother, Harry, in the 1920’s married Rose Brain. Census 1901 shows that her parents were Martin (40 ) & Emma Brain (42) ………Census 1861 gives Emma (3) daughter of Moses & Ann Meek……….Census 1841 gives Moses (11) son of John Meek (37) an agri. labourer from Aston Ingham area!!!! What a surprise! I think that John must be part of your “tree” Is it worth trying to trace him ?
Now to general “chat “. I also went to E.D.G.S. as did my brothers, Geof, who died last year, and Tony ,now 76. Sheila Birt was a few years my senior. Is she a relative of yours???
Thank you for all your informative and interesting info. I am thinking of giving up on genealogy as I find it too frustrating and time-consuming….but it is a very tempting hobby, so who Knows?
Yours Sincerely , Betty Turner, nee, Meek.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread