Origins of DUBERLEY surname (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, February 23, 2017, 19:07 (2613 days ago) @ RachelD

Hi Rachel,
thanks so much for taking the time to update. Glad to hear you've followed up the lead, good music can be so helpful in so many ways !
I see now that a quick internet search reveals that Henry appears in a lot of Duberley online trees etc etc, it seems you may have some cousins in the USA, have you ever fancied spending a month or 2 on an American roadtrip ? ;-) ....

There's even a book about it all, this webpage states

John Dubberley (1672-1733/34) was born in Ross-on-Wye, Hereford County, England to Edward Dubberley and Elizabeth (?). He and his wife, Grace, were French Huguenot and are the apparent progenitors of all Douberly descendants in this genealogy. By 1693 he had immigrated to Worcester, Maryland. Later they went to Accomack County, Virginia. John and Grace had five children. Descendants also lived in North and South Carolina and Georgia. Today descendants live in many states.
https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_Douberly_Dubberly_Paper_Trail_in_Ame.html?id...

A quick search for Duberley/Doberly etc on the LDS aka FamilySearch site indeed shows records in Gloucestershire & Herefordshire as early as 1582, as reflected within this site's PRs (John Doberle, son of James, Redbrook), and of course Henry you've already mentioned. With that surname and placement I can't help but think there is indeed a French link, as you first suggested, perhaps John's oldest ancestors arrived at Ross up the River Wye, in those days far easier than travelling by land of course. Please see my next post about nearby Whitebrook, which miught possibly be related ?.
Re Forest villages and their Norman settlers, this old post about Redmarley village may interest you, it's more correctly named Redmarley D'Abitot after the Normans.
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=31286

Anyhow, I'll happily leave the Duberley research in your capable hands Rachel, and look forward very much to anything else you can turn-up.

Thanks again, Jeff.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread