George Evans of Redbrook... (General)

by Springer, Sunday, April 30, 2017, 17:32 (2567 days ago)

First post. I see a lot of references here regarding Evans lineage, one in particular caught my attention. Referred to George and Mary Evans of Redbrook, Newland, circa 1784 to 1795. Got me to wondering if there's an overlap here...?

History: My Great Grandfather x 3 is John Evans, who was married to Susannah Scholes Fletcher in Prestwich, Lancashire in 1819. In the 1851 census he apparently wanted to be very specific about his place of birth, as the census taker wrote the following, which took me some time to decipher in order to correct other interpretations that didn't stand up to scrutiny...

"Redbrook, to/e (to the east) of Standedge, near Marsden, Yorkshire". Marsden is just down the road from Oldham and Manchester in Lancashire.

Subsequently, I lucked out and found the actual baptism record, Marsden, St. Bartholomew, Church of England register, which read: "John son of George Evans of Redbrook, miner" dated Dec 23, 1797, which also essentially lines up with John's age as given in the census.

Clearly, this is an entirely other "Redbrook" from that of Newland in Gloucestershire.

Having a very tough time trying to pin down my Great Grandfather x 4 George Evans of Redbrook in Yorkshire, compounded by the reality that there seems to be an almost infinite number of "George Evans" in the records, a great many of whom also were coal miners!

Family history has it that our Evans family tree originates in Wales, but I've yet been able to establish this.

If any other Evans ancestors have had similar challenges, or have come across this particular confluence of Georges in Redbrook, would be interested to hear anything that might help sort this out!

Thanks in advance for your interest and any help!

Al in British Columbia, Canada

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread