Charles Nelmes 1828-? (General)

by tuthill @, Tuesday, May 09, 2017, 08:41 (2516 days ago) @ D I Elsmore

Hi Tutill, I have searched for the death of Charles Nelmes, Lydney and found one possible which you might be able to confirm. He was born living in Arlingham which is opposite Newnham Gloucester shire. A Charles Nelmes Died in Gloucester in 1907 if you check census 1901 he was living in lower Westgate srtreet Gloucester as a Lodger.He was aged 73 so add 6 years that makes 79 years old when he died now deduct 79 from 1907 you get 1828. He was Buried in Thornbury Gloucestershire This is the only one i could match for you, i assume he may have left his wife or simply went missing, Divorce i don`t think was available then. If you would like more family information i collected just ask me. Donald

Donald
Thanks very much for that information, I had not previously looked at the 1901 Census for Gloucester but it does seem to fit in with previous records of 1861 and 1881.

I the 1861 Census for St Nicholas (Westgate) area of Gloucester City there was a Charles Nelmes aged 32 years living with parents William and Ann, his occupation was a Soldier. However he appears to have been included in two Census returns that year because a Charles Nelmes aged 32 years born in St Marys (Westgate) area of Gloucester was included as a Drummer in the 1/8th Regiment at Gosport Barracks in Hampshire.

In the 1881 Census for St Nicholas area of Gloucester, Charles appears aged 49 years with place of birth given as unknown.On this occasion he was a General Labourer, and a lodger which leads me to believe that his landlord who would have completed the Census return did not have correct information to hand when Census Return was completed.

After all that unfortunately I have concluded that the above Charles cannot be my Great Great Grandfather, a shame really because he seems quite an interesting character. Thanks anyway

My Great Great Grandfather Charles Nelmes did live in Arlingham in 1841 and was a son of John and Mary Nelmes. He was in fact baptised at Slimbridge.In 1851 he appears to have crossed the River Severn and was included in 1851 Census for Westbury on Severn with Anthony Bennett and family.The next record I have of him was when he married my Great Great Grandmother Esther Shepherd(nee Stibbs) at Lydney in 1853. Esther was the widow of Alexander Shepherd who died in Lydney in 1851.

Tuthill

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread