AARON HALE - confusion (General)

by lesleyr @, London, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 21:02 (2501 days ago) @ karencoupe123

Hello Karen,
Your posting made me revisit what I had previously thought about the ancestors of my 6g grandfather Moses Hale (1763 - 1855) brother of your Aaron.
Like you, I had their parents as Aaron and Susan. I've rechecked and am now convinced that they were the parents. I was confused because, within a few years, one child was baptised in Ruardean and two in Welsh Bicknor. I posted a question about regulations covering where a child was baptised and the replies confirmed that there could be good reasons why they swapped parishes. So here is my theory:
We know from his baptism in Welsh Bicknor on 23 January 1763 that Moses Hale was the son of Aaron and Susan Hale. There was another baptism in Welsh Bicknor on 10 February 1765 of Aaron, son of Aaron and Susan.
Prior to the baptisms in Welsh Bicknor, there was one in Ruardean of Henry Hale, son of Aaron and Susan, on 29 March 1761. Ruardean and Welsh Bicknor are about 5 miles apart on either side of the River Wye, less if there was a ferry in those days.
Prior to Henry’s baptism there was a marriage on 12 July 1760 in Ruardean of Aaron Hale to Susannah More so circumstantial evidence points to Aaron Hale and Susannah More being the parents of Moses, Henry and Aaron.
I have not found any more children of Aaron and Susan which would indicate that the burial in Ruardean of Aaron Hale on 2 March 1766 was most likely this Aaron; and that of Susan Hale on 25 June the following year being his widow.
So far I have not found a definite baptism for Aaron but if he was about 20 when he married, it would have been around 1740. That's my next job - to look at the advice that you have already been given by Forum members.
Lesley

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread