Ivy CUMPER, John CUMPER residents 1936 to 1998 (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, May 26, 2017, 02:09 (2521 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi again,
Tried a quick search of the old newspapers via FindMyPast site, but the most recent hit for "Cumper Chepstow" I could find was 1922.

Please can you advise, is CUMPER a rare name, I can't say I've come across it before ?.
Yet there are a few Cumpers mentioned in the old papers in the Chepstow area, is it possible that Chepstow is John's home area ?.
You don't mention where he was born, or when (or his age when died), please can you enlarge on these points ??

==

I wanted to confirm John's full formal name, I see Ivy's 1936 Marriage record gives it as "Christopher J Cumper", I presume J is John.

Searching for his possible births on FreeBMD site gives just ONE record for the whole UK, and it's in Chepstow, in first quarter of 1889. So altho he seems a fair bit older than wife Ivy, it does seem to fit in other ways ?!

Also from FMP site I find his Baptism Record, do you think this could be your John ?;

First name(s) CHRISTOPHER JOHN
Last name CUMPER
Country Wales
Record set Gwent FHS Baptisms - Chepstow Branch
County Monmouthshire
Year 1889
Parents Name Charles & Louisa
Child First Names Christopher John
Child Last Names Cumper
Month Jan
Year Of Birth 1889
Parish Chepstow
Place CHEPSTOW
Abode 2 Beaufort Square
Notes
-
Year 1889
Occupation Moulder
Church St. Mary
Day 31
Category
Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory
Births & baptisms
Collections from Great Britain

So this child's father was a "moulder", a term which nowadays we use when describing casting of molten liquid plastics, but in those days it was commonly used to describe a man who cast metals, esp iron. It would have been completely normal in those days for a skilled man such as this to take his son to work to teach him his trade.. ??

I don't have full access to the 1939 Register, but FMP site tells me there is a record for a John Christopher Cumper in Birmingham, Warwickshire who was born in 1888...

I also find these Census' which appears to be our man, and confirms he's from Chepstow, and his father from Tidenham, which is a place you've mentioned;

1911: 54 Juxon Street Oxford, St Giles, Oxfordshire, EnglandHousehold Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place
Ernest Arthur Fitchett Head Married Male Printer Machine Minder 33 1878 Oxford City
May Verner Fitchett Wife Married Female - 33 1878 Oxford Islip
Frederick William Green Boarder Single Male Tailor Coat Maker 29 1882 Oxford City
Christopher John Cumper Boarder Single Male Pattern Maker 22 1889 Monmouthshire Chepstow

1901: Fleur de Lis Villas, 5, Hardwick Lane Chepstow, Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Charles Cumper Head Married Male 36 1865 Iron Foundry "moulder". Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales
Louise Cumper Wife Married Female 35 1866 - Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales
Christopher Cumper Son Single Male 12 1889 - Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales
Charles Cumper Son Single Male 9 1892 - Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales
Hettie Cumper Daughter Single Female 5 1896 - Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales
Hector Cumper Son Single Male 0 1901 - Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales

1891: 4 Moor Street, Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Charles Cumper Head Married Male 26 1865 Iron Moulder. Tidenham, Gloucestershire, England
Louise Cumper Wife Married Female 25 1866 - Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales
Christopher Cumper Son - Male 2 1889 - Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales

So, do you agree this rather looks like your John ?.

Finally for now, revisiting those old newspapers;

"Sudden Death of a Publican.— Mr. Charles Cumper, of the Chepstow Boat Inn, died very suddenly Monday. About three o’clock in the morning was seized with a stroke from which he did not recover, and died in the afternoon."
17 September 1892 - Monmouthshire Beacon - Monmouth, Gwent, Wales

"The Petty Sessions Tuesday, For playing cards in the Castle Dell o Sunday week, Charles Cumper. Ivor Williams and Berry Simmonds were each fined 15s."
31 March 1922 - Monmouthshire Beacon - Monmouth, Gwent, Wales

"CHEPSTOW. BRAVERY REWARDED.—Mr. Henry Cumper, chief officer of the "Chepstow Trader", and residing in St. Anne's lane, Chepstow, has been awarded the medal of the Royal Humane Society for saving the life of Miss Jane Wheatstone, who about a month since ...Bristol basin."
30 April 1880 - Monmouthshire Merlin - Newport, Gwent, Wales

Sadly I'm unable to copy the whole text of this detailed article, but it says this is the 15th life saved by Henry, one of the most noteworthy being while he was on a voyage to Quebec, jumped overboard and saved an engineer off a Cardiff ship. It also mentions his nephew Captain Charles Cumper of Chepstow...
If you sign-up to the BNA website (which the FindMyPast site is linked in to), the BNA site allows one to easily copy text from articles as well as the article image itself. Also new members get some (5?) free downloads without subscribing. There are other mentions of ships in the Severn owned/captained by "Cumper", so this may be an interesting area to research, in case they are related to your John, as seems likely.

Hoping this is of interest, J. 

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread