William James - executed by the Gestapo? (General)

by Squiddley1957 @, Monday, June 19, 2017, 15:30 (2502 days ago)

There is a posting on the Lamsdorf Remembered (POW Camp) website relating the story of three British soldiers who escaped and were tortured and/or executed following recapture.

One of them was Ernest Victor Coo (google "Ernest Victor Coo Lamsdorf and then the page "Can You Help?" to read the full story) and one of the others being William James born Bream 26.09.1919.

I have copies of the Czech Security reports referred to in the posting. I haven't yet had them all translated but they do appear to support (or be the origin of) the story that the three suffered execution.

All very straightforward except for a number of points: firstly that Ernest Coo returned to England in April 1945 (or someone did!) and secondly I can find no definite trace on Ancestry etc either of William James nor Frederick Thomson (the third man). Coo, in fact, completed a POW questionnaire but James nor Thomson did not - which poses the questions: were they executed why not Coo? He died in 1987.

The story apparently features in a book (Nebe, Peklo, Zem) published in the Czech Republic but the author is being very cagey about what he has said. It's also worth noting that the documents refer in places to the Gestapo and also to the NKVD (precursor of the KGB).

I understand that there were - and hopefully are - several James families in the Bream area. Can anyone shed any light on the particular William James?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread