Searching my family tree Browning / Jones (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, June 28, 2017, 23:23 (2465 days ago) @ Andrea1969

Really sorry but I just cant seem to get that information. How do you get on the civil registration?

Hi Andrea,
if you're asking about the Marriage that Mike Shepway posted, his post mentions the FreeBMD website, which is where he found the details he's posted.

That very useful (and free to access) website can be found as https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Mike's post included it as a hyperlink (hence it displays in blue), which can be access by right-clicking on the link, best done by opening-it onto a new tab or window of your computer.

When you first find the record it first displays like this;

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page
Marriages Sep 1927 (>99%)
Browning Nellie G Cutler Hampstead 1a 1723 Scan available - click to view
Clarke Alfred V Williamson Hampstead 1a 1723 Scan available - click to view
Cutler Frederick T Browning Hampstead 1a 1723 Scan available - click to view
Williamson Mayavelda Clarke Hampstead 1a 1723 Scan available - click to view

Which simplifies in our case to
Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse District Vol Page
Marriages Sep 1927
Browning Nellie G marries Cutler at Hampstead . 1a 1723
Cutler Frederick T marries Browning at Hampstead . 1a 1723

This site only gives the Quarter within which a BMD event was recorded, so in this case it means the Marriage was recorded in the Hampstead District of London sometime in July, August or September of 1927. One must purchase a Marriage Certificate to gain further information including the exact date and place, unless the actual Parish Record has been transcribed onto another website, such as those in this FoD site's PRs database. It's possible the wedding itself actually occured in late June, and was reported a little late. This is often seen when a marriage (or birth etc) happens during the Christmas season, when festivities and bad weather might delay people travelling to report the event.

-----------

This old forum thread details this and several other useful free websites.

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/fodmembers/index.php?mode=thread&id=35197

I recommend you spend some time reading it and trying the various sites - I only started this hobby a few years ago, and I am very tight-fisted, so free sites are a real boon to me. It also reinforces just how very lucky we are to have this FoD FHT site, which is probably the best free-access FH website in the whole UK.

Hoping ths helps, Jeff

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread