Oaklands Park: Gardeners and other staff (General)

by stephaniejr @, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK, Thursday, October 19, 2017, 12:39 (2379 days ago)

One particular focus of my research into the Oaklands estate has been the gardeners, for a project we are running at Oaklands garden. I have been able to identify some of the gardeners who have worked on the estate and am researching their lives (where possible!):

1841: George Godin (Godwin) – probably from Herefordshire
1851: Henry White – from Northamptonshire
1871: Charles Smith (from Herefordshire), his son William Smith and William Sims (possibly born in Awre; moved to Llanelly)
1881: Thomas Postians (from Herefordshire; moved to Llanelly) and Thomas Smith (son of Charles Smith above)
1891: Mark Hall
c.1901-1927/28: James Gill Pavey – from Devon; retired to Newport (I have been in touch with his descendant, Judith, who has contributed to this forum, and she has very kindly sent me a photo of James.)
1901: George James Eveleigh – from Devon; he had returned there by 1911
c.1909-c.1913: William Charles Redfern – from London; I think he ended up in Cheltenham
c.1920-1917: James Baylis – from Kempley; he was 65 in 1911 and died c.1917.
1930-1973: James Sidney Bowkett – born in Blaisdon; he died in 1980.
1932-1971: Frederick John Jaynes – born in Soudley, died in 1971; his father, Hubert, was head gardener at The Haie. I think there are descendants of Hubert still in the Forest area.

(The dates in bold above are the years when they are recorded as being gardeners at Oaklands according to censuses and/or electoral rolls.)

I will also be looking at the other staff listed in censuses.

I would be interested to know anything about anyone who worked at Oaklands and to see any photographs that might exist of any aspect of Oaklands.

Many thanks
Stephanie

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread