Oaklands Park: Gardeners and other staff (General)

by stephaniejr @, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK, Monday, October 23, 2017, 13:47 (2375 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thank you, Mike. I think you are right that he was probably a gardener at The Haie, as I understand that Hulins was owned by the Rev. Jones, owner of The Haie. I have seen a map of the Oaklands estate in 1895 and it didn't extend that far to the north.

‘… Hulin's Farm, on the north boundary, (fn. 120) was named from the Hulin or Huling family which bought it, with the adjoining Hulin's wood, in 1682. The Hulins sold their farm in 1820 to the Revd. Edward Jones, (fn. 121) owner of the adjoining Hayhill estate in Newnham, (fn. 122) …’
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol5/pp14-46

In 1820, Sir James Jelf negotiated to purchase land from the Rev. Edward Jones, Joshua Hulin and John Knowles into order to build a road from the main Newnham-Blakeney road to the house at Oaklands, at a cost of £214 6 shillings. This is the current entrance drive to Oaklands from Lower Lodge on the A48. (from deeds held at Gloucestershire Archives)

Stephanie

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread