William TRIGG of Westbury-on-Severn (General)

by JaneyH ⌂ @, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Sunday, November 19, 2017, 12:09 (2343 days ago)

I'm getting tied up in knots with some of my TRIGG ancestors. I've spent a while reading through related discussion threads on here, but I haven't found any that tie in obviously/directly with my particular line. Here's what I know so far.

Margaret Trigg (1790-1852) was my 4x great-grandmother. She married Thomas Evans in Westbury in 1807 and I have their line going down and sideways absolutely fine. Baptism records show that Margaret was the daughter of William Trigg and Ann (Thomas), who were married in Westbury in 1788. In total, their children appear to have been (dates are all baptisms):

William 1790
Margaret 1790 (already mentioned)
Theodosia (1) 1792-1799 (burial record for her in Westbury aged 6)
Ann 1794
James 1796-1864
John 1799
Richard 1801
Theodoriz (Theodosia) (2) 1803

I'm working on Margaret's siblings: so far I have James marrying Mary Baylis in Westbury in 1818 and having four daughters. He was the innkeeper of the Red Lion in Westbury and a saddler by trade. Theodosia (2) appears to marry William Gough in 1817 in Ruardean; assuming she was baptised as an infant this would make her aged just 14!

Where I'm really stuck, however, is with Margaret's father William Trigg. His marriage register entry doesn't include his father's name so I've turned to baptisms. Looking at a suitable time-frame working back from a marriage in 1788 there are two, both baptised in Westbury in 1766! One is to Richard and Elizabeth, the other to William and Mary. While I'm inclined to William and Mary being the correct one on the basis of the first name being passed down from father to son, this is a dangerous assumption on its own.

Therefore, if there's anyone there with Trigg ancestors who has this particular branch in their tree, or someone who has researched this local surname, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Many thanks, Jane

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread