Your Guidelines, Terms & Conditons, Copyright, Privacy etc. (General)

by rsligi @, Friday, December 29, 2017, 14:42 (2307 days ago) @ Gillymott

re keeping a family tree on a commercial web site > my family tree is of an unique surname, any one with it is of our tree since Napoleon for tax reasons had all surnames in his empire registered and spelt the same > my ancestor spelt it in a traditional way while every other family with a similar surname were spelt slightly different. One Dutch relative kept this tree (and photographs) on the open web so anyone could access it and add to it. It meant that anyone could find my mother, her maiden name etc etc all which form part of security for many sites, financial or otherwise. I and some other relations questioned the security of this but the web page owner was a programmer and at that time to get a web page done was new technology. It ended with his own details being used to forge official documents and actual access to a financial account because one of his passwords was linked to a former relative. It is now private but I am sure there is so much info on Genealogy sites that hackers would find this a goldmine???
I am very aware of this and try not to give to much info to others unless I totally trust where they will use it and have cautioned my children and grandchildren of the family book that they have all been given.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread