Saunders brothers, Lydney Tinplaters, WW1 Soldiers ? (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, January 29, 2018, 17:13 (2276 days ago) @ shepway

Gunner
SAUNDERS, CHARLES IVOR WILLIS
Service Number 42204
Died 06/09/1917
Aged 29
1st Bde.
Canadian Field Artillery
Son of John Saunders and Sarah Thorne of 14 Albert St, Lydney, England.
Buried at LONGUENESSE (ST. OMER) SOUVENIR CEMETERY

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for that, really good results, and also for the Gloster RFC site which I hadn't seen before.

A few questions if I may ref Charles.

1. His baptism record etc that I found only gives him as Charles Saunders - any idea where and when he gained the extra names ?. Clearly this is "our" man from the notes, but seems odd - altho one of my ancesters also gained a second name during WW1 and for no obvious reason that I could see ?

2. Did you get this info direct from the CWGC site, or via Ancestry or somesuch ?. Asking as the modern look for all websites since Windows 8 seems to be big block format which I guess helps for tablets/smartphones etc, but as an oldfashioned pc user they seem a dumbed-down Playschool look and a less user-friendly approach - or is that just me ??. Anyhow, thats how the CWGC site presented to me, rather than finding the easily-read detailed list of possible men to scan thro, like in the old days, I now got lots of undetailed bigblock links about individuals, needing me to view separate web pages for each of them, which I'm afraid put me off searching them all on the offchance the notes would help, as I know most entries don't have those notes. Plus his "new" name and unlikely? regiment wouldn't have helped me find him very quickly.
I'm thinking of renewing my Ancestry subs after over a year's absence, does that site still present Servicemen's info in a more easily-read format ?.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks, Jeff

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread