Did herrings have a political significance in Cinderford? (General)

by JaneyH ⌂ @, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Monday, February 12, 2018, 19:30 (2263 days ago)

On 7 February 1874 - election day - there was a riot in Cinderford. One of the main targets attacked was the Fleece Inn, Bilson Woodside, and the adjoining butcher's shop, both owned by a certain James White. One of the five men eventually found guilty of the violence that took place was a distant ancestor of mine, William Ferris. He had been in prison a number of times before these events, so was perhaps of questionable character.

Newspaper articles available on the British Newspaper Archive / findmypast for the period February to April 1874 provide masses of detail as to the events of the day. What I'm more interested in, and what I hope that some of you with local knowledge can help with, is the political background to the riot. The main protagonists were all miners and Liberals (yellows) and were attacking property belonging to Conservatives (blues). The Fleece Inn was a particular target as it was being used as the committee rooms for the Conservatives. Whether this was simply a generic/national political argument that became violent, or whether there was a particular local dimension to it I'm unsure. One particular comment in the newspaper "Let’s go to **** old Matthias’s and pull the **** church down; he’s been writing about us, and saying we earn too much money" is particularly interesting - was there some sort of controversy between the church and miners?

Another question - hence the title of this post - is that the first missiles thrown were oranges and herrings. Again, the press coverage says “Could not say whether herrings had a political significance in Cinderford”. Did they? A woman was also hit with "a stick with a fish attached". As the events unfolded bricks and stones were thrown, causing considerable damage.

My main reference is the Gloucester Journal for 21 February and 11 April 1874. William Ferris emigrated to the USA with his wife and daughter in 1875 and appeared to have lived a more respectable life from this point onwards!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread