Battered with a haddock ! Edgar Barter, Coleford, 1926 (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, February 14, 2018, 01:31 (2235 days ago)

Without wishing to take attention away from helping JaneyH solve her serious query about fruit and fish in Cinderford, it's reminded me of this newspaper article I spotted a few weeks back. Thanks to Mike Pinchin for this transcript.

Gloucester Journal - Saturday 6 November 1926

STRUCK WITH A HADDOCK.

Evidence in Coleford Assault Case.

FISH SALESMAN FINED.

At Coleford Petty Sessions on Tuesday before Mr T. H. Deakin and other magistrates; Ernest Spragg, fish salesman, Hereford, was summoned by Ernest Bodenham Barter, fishmonger, Coleford, for an assault on October 15th. Mr H. W. Berthon appeared for complainant. Defendant pleaded not guilty. Complainant said he had been in business in Coleford for over 20 years, and for over 40 years his family had had a stall in Coleford Market. On the evening of October 15th he had a stall in the Market as usual, and defendant was also there in charge of a fish stall. Witness said he heard his name being mentioned a number of times by defendant, who at length put up a sole and said, " That is Mr Barter's sole." Witness also heard defendant make use of the word "rogue," upon which he walked up to defendant and asked him if the reference were to him. Defendant then gave him a "back hander " with a haddock across the face. Defendant afterwards said, "It is a good job I didn't have a pole in my hand." Witness said that from first to last he did not interfere with the defendant.

Defendant: "Didn't you say when I first entered the market, I will stop you coming here. You shan't ruin my business?"

Complainant: "No. He also denied having said that was prepared to lose £300 to stop defendant from earning his living."

Ernest Dunn, an assistant in complainant's employ corroborated.

Leonard Barter said he accompanied his father to defendant's stall. Defendant said. " "I will give you and your son more than you want to take away," meaning that he would fight them.

Wall-ace Cole, grocer's assistant, Milkwall, said he was in the crowd in the Market Place and saw defendant strike Barter with a haddock. He thought the fish weighed 6 or 7 lbs. It was a hard blow. Witness did not see complainant do anything to defendant. When the blow was struck the crowd laughed.

P.C. Higgins said when he saw the defendant, he said Mr Barter had no right to interfere with him in his business. Defendant said, “If a man comes and interferes with me I will pull his neck out."

Defendant said he was an ex-Service man, and was now earning a living by selling fish. On the second night he came to Coleford complainant held his hand up and said, "I will stop you coming here. You won't have it all your own way tonight." Complainant commenced selling in the Market, a thing he had not done for many years. He [defendant] did not bear any malice against complainant, and all that he wanted was fair competition, but he did not intend to be insulted by anybody. Complainant pushed him and it was a pure accident that in turning round Barter was struck by the haddock.

David Merratt, of Newland Street, Coleford, said complainant touched defendant on the shoulder, at which defendant turned round and the fish caught Mr Barter in the face. It was an accident. Complainant said he had probably got his neck in a knot because the defendant was selling cheap fish. The Bench imposed a fine of 10s.

------------------

It appears the paper has made an error with the Coleford fishmonger's name, records show he was named Edgar Bodenham Barter, not Ernest as reported.

1911 Coleford, Coleford Gloucestershire, Monmouthshire, England
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Edgar Barter Head M 38 FISH MERCHANTS AND FRUITERER. Monmouth, Monmouthshire
Florence Barter Wife F 33 ASSISTING IN THE BUSINESS. Monmouth, Monmouthshire
William Barter Son M 6 Monmouth, Monmouthshire
Leonard Barter Son M 4 Monmouth, Monmouthshire
Jeffrey Barter Son M 2 Coleford, Gloucestershire
Alan Barter Son M 0 Coleford, Gloucestershire
Ellen Jones Servant F 19 MOTHER'S HELP DOMESTIC. Kew London, London
Emily Lambert Servant F 15 GENERAL SERVANT DOMESTIC. Coleford, Gloucestershire

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page
Marriages Mar 1904
Barter Edgar Bodinham Monmouth 11a 33
Williams Florence Mary Monmouth 11a 33

1901 Monnow Street, Monmouth, Monmouthshire, England
Joseph W Barter Head M 51 FISH MERCHANT. Stroud, Gloucestershire
Caroline Barter Wife F 48 Walford, Herefordshire
Edgar B Barter Son M 28 FISH SALESMAN. Monmouth, Monmouthshire
Gertrude E Barter Daughter F 22 Monmouth, Monmouthshire
Ethel A Barter Daughter F 17 Monmouth, Monmouthshire

1881 Monnow Street, Monmouth, Monmouthshire, England
Joseph W Barter Head M 31 Fishmonger And Dealer. Stroud, Gloucestershire, England
Caroline Barter Wife F 28 Ross, Herefordshire, England
Edgar B Barter Son M 8 Monmouth, Monmouthshire, England
Frank B Barter Son M 6 Monmouth, Monmouthshire, England
Arthur B Barter Son M 4 Monmouth, Monmouthshire, England
Gertrude E Barter Daughter F 2 Monmouth, Monmouthshire, England

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Mar 1871
BARTER Joseph William Ross 6a 664
Bodinham Caroline Ross 6a 664

This site's PRs have the children's marriages, the latest was Gertrude in 1943, it shows Edgar was a fish merchant residing at Market Place, Coleford.

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page
Births Jun 1873
Barter Edgar Bodinham Monmouth 11a 40

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page
Deaths Mar 1950
Barter Edgar B 76 F. of Dean 7b 470

It appears that during the early 1960s if not later the fish business was run by son Alan, see this photo
https://www.sungreen.co.uk/Coleford/Coleford_Town_Hall.html
https://www.sungreen.co.uk/coleford_forest-of_dean/st-johns-st-market-place.html

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread