Jacob Dorrington & Ruth Dorrington, New Zealand 1876 (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, February 23, 2018, 02:31 (2254 days ago) @ Clements Tump

Hi,
I don't think you mentioned using the FamilySearch site. I recommend it as it's very good at offering variations of name spelling, and is enitrely free to use.

Searching Ruth Dorrington b1850-1860 in Gloucestershire gives;

Name Ruth Dorrington
Event Type Death
Event Date 1893
Event Place New Zealand
Age (Estimated) 42
Birth Date 1851

You mention having Ruth's death, but I don't think you said where ?. Can this be her ?

and also find

Name Ruth Dorrington
Event Type Immigration
Event Date Nov 1876
Event Place Marlborough, New Zealand
Gender Female
Departure Date 1876
Arrival Port Marlborough
Ship Name Howrah
Arrival Place Marlborough

The above record has been transcribed off the actual image of the shipping passenger list record that can be viewed and downloaded off the site. In the sometimes frustrating way of the FamilySearch site, despite the above summary not mentioning it, we find that Ruth is indeed from Gloucestershire and travels with Jacob AND Edwin Elsmore and his family; the next page has another Gloucestershire family of Richard MORSE, and so on. But for a free and user-friendly website who's complaining !

I cannot transcribe it neatly or fully, the image also gives ages etc, but the gist is as follow:

Name Event Type Event Date Event Place Gender Age Marital Status Nationality Occupation Birth Year (Estimated) Shipping Company Ship Name Departure Port Departure Place Departure Date Arrival Port Ship Name Arrival Place

FAMILIES & CHILDREN
Jacob Dorrington Immigration Nov 1876 Marlborough, New Zealand Male Glostershire Farm Lab 1876 Marlborough Howrah Marlborough
Ruth Dorrington Immigration Nov 1876 Marlborough, New Zealand Female 1876 Marlborough Howrah Marlborough

Edwin Elsmore Immigration Nov 1876 Marlborough, New Zealand Male Glostershire Farm Lab 1876 Marlborough Howrah Marlborough
Mary Elsmore Immigration Nov 1876 Marlborough, New Zealand Female Glostershire 1876 Marlborough Howrah Marlborough
Samuel Elsmore Immigration Nov 1876 Marlborough, New Zealand Male 1876 Marlborough Howrah Marlborough
Edwin Elsmore Immigration Nov 1876 Marlborough, New Zealand Male 1876 Marlborough Howrah Marlborough
John Elsmore Immigration Nov 1876 Marlborough, New Zealand Male 1876 Marlborough Howrah Marlborough
Elizth Elsmore Immigration Nov 1876 Marlborough, New Zealand Female 1876 Marlborough Howrah Marlborough

Richd Morse Immigration Nov 1876 Marlborough, New Zealand Male Glostershire Farm Lab 1876 Marlborough Howrah Marlborough
Lucy Morse Immigration Nov 1876 Marlborough, New Zealand Female Glostershire 1876 Marlborough Howrah Marlborough
Amelia J Morse Immigration Nov 1876 Marlborough, New Zealand Female Glostershire 1876 Marlborough Howrah Marlborough

SINGLE MEN
Saml Elsmore Immigration Nov 1876 Marlborough, New Zealand Male Glostershire F Laborer 1876 Marlborough Howrah Marlborough
Edwin Elsmore Immigration Nov 1876 Marlborough, New Zealand Male Glostershire 1876 Marlborough Howrah Marlborough

Hopefully this link will take you straight to the image for download etc.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-68T3-KS8?i=3&cc=1609792

Toward the end of the 11 pages are the fares paid for passage, abt £20 I think.

I've travelled to Northern Spain on a modern stabilized ship of 40,000 tons and was quite poorly at times. I cannot imagine how bad it must have been in the sailing ship "Howrah" of just 1000 tons !

The Howrah was an iron hulled sailing ship of 1,098 tons, built at Sunderland in 1864 by Pile, Spence and Company. She arrived in Fiji on 26 June 1884 carrying 575 passengers.
The Howrah was chartered for three voyages from England to New Zealand. During one of these voyages, although she made the passage in 96 days, she encountered some very rough weather and ten passengers died.
The Howrah was also used to carry indentured labourers to the West Indies. She arrived in British Guiana on 13 Feb 1869, Trinidad on 3 March 1873 carrying 449 (13 died during the trip) and Suriname on 8 April 1874 carrying Indian indentured labourers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howrah_(ship)

Also see
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP18741202.2.10

That's all for now, I strongly recommend you give the FamilySearch site a try.
eg also find

Name Jacob Dorrington
Event Type Death
Event Date 1919
Event Place New Zealand
Age (Estimated) 85
Birth Date 1834
Registration Number 1919/4399
Citing this Record

"New Zealand, Civil Records Indexes, 1800-1966," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QG6K-K9WB : 4 January 2018), Jacob Dorrington, 1919; citing Death, New Zealand, registration number 1919/4399, Archives of New Zealand, Wellington.

atb J

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread