Proving my Worgan descent (General)

by anthonyworgan @, Saturday, May 05, 2018, 11:25 (2195 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Many thanks for your reply but unfortunately I don't think the Thomas linked to the Anne Ricketts you suggested is my Thomas. He is more likely to have been the Thomas son of Richard Worgan of Clowerwall/Newland (WILL dated 14 Dec 1652 & proved 20 Jan 1653/4) who married a Jane Unknown. Children: Thomas b circa 1637 (to be 25 in 1661/2), Anne b circa 1638, Blanche b 1641, Jane & Richard (of unknown birth dates).

Whereas my Thomas was born probably circa 1625 with siblings: Dorothy (unknown birth date), Richard (unknown birth date) & Anthony Worgan d 1694. Their parents: Richard of English Bicknor who married Sibell Whitson (1594-1677/8)

The Litigation Bill also mentions that Thomas had 3 sons, Richard the eldest who died without issue, John d 1691 (my ancestor) who then became the eldest son & another younger son. The fourth unnamed child of the 1668 WILL was probably a daughter Sibell.

The Thomas linked to Anne Ricketts appears not to have had any children. However, I always keep an open mind because of the condition of the parish registers of Newland/Staunton/English Bicknor - there are many missing names & dates so nothing is certain!

Many years ago I spent one lovely day at the Society of Genealogists in London & photo-copied all of the Forest of Dean people mentioned in the Men & Armour for Gloucestershire 1608. A wonderful resource which has helped me a lot over the years.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread