Giles Brayne/Brain 1600's Littledean (General)

by Arrowhead @, Tuesday, June 05, 2018, 19:49 (2145 days ago)

I have a Giles Brayne/Brain SNR as a father to a Giles Brayne/Brain JNR in a baptism for November 1686. This father appears with the mother 'Elinor' on two other baptisms: George in 1688 and Elinor JNR in 1689.

There is a record for the burial of Elinor SNR with the memoranda stating 'wife of Giles' a few days after the baptism of the daughter Elinor JNR. On Ancestry the majority of the trees have Elinor as dying in Bitton South Glos in 1733, which I'm dubious about even though the Dean lot were related to the Braynes in Bristol and had dealing with them.

However, there is no record of a marriage, as far as I have seen, for an Elinor and Giles SNR BUT in the February of 1686 (9 months before the baptism of Giles JNR) there is a marriage for a Giles Brayne and Mary Whetston or Witston depending on how you transcribe the document (but Whetston on here).

I cannot find any burial for Giles Snr.

Predating these events there is a Giles Brayne alias Wale mentioned in Thomas Brayne's Will of 1604. There is also a Giles Brayne (father Richard) baptised in 1620...I suppose it is possible my Giles Snr could be this one and aged 66 and having children.

I'm confused whether Elinor is in fact Mary and don't know the parentage of Giles Snr (if he isn't the one born in 1620, which seems unlikely). The other possibility is that Giles Brayne who married Mary Whetston is a completely different Giles.

As always, any help with this one will be much appreciated as I think I've exhausted what resources I have to hand.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread