George Thomas Steel manufacturer? (General)

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Thursday, October 18, 2018, 20:03 (2022 days ago) @ helen550

BNA Gloucestershire Echo - Friday 22 November 1901

DEATH OF MR. GEORGE THOMAS. OF COLEFORD.

The news of the death of Mr. George Thomas, of Morley Villa, Cinderhill, Coleford on Wednesday morning, was received with surprise by many inhabitants in the town, who were not aware of his illness. Mr. Thomas had apparently been in his usual good health until recently, and it was only on Friday last that he felt so unwell as to consult a doctor, but he was able to walk to Dr. Trotter’s surgery. It was discovered that Mr. Thomas was suffering from diabetes, which had evidently been coming on for some time, though he himself was not aware of it. On Saturday he was in his garden, and it was not until Monday night, when he suddenly became worse, that he was compelled to take to his bed, and notwithstanding the attention that was given to him he passed away in about 24 hours. The deceased gentleman, who was a native of St. Briavels, had been a long resident in Coleford. He was connected with the old steel works of Milkwall in its flourishing days, and was a nephew of the late Mr. Robt. Mushet, who will be well remembered by the older generation for his work in connection with the local steel trade. Up to the time of his demise Mr. Thomas held the secret and performed the task of mixing for the celebrated Mushet steel in a private works belonging to the company in Sheffield, which works are situate in the Fetterhill Valley, near Coleford. Mr. Thomas was a man of means, and of late years had purchased considerable property in the neighbourhood. He was of a somewhat retiring disposition, and never took an active part in local public affairs, but was a regular attendant at the Baptist Chapel. He was 69 years of age, and leaves three sons, one of whom has been in Australia for some years. The funeral, which was a public one, took place this (Friday) afternoon.

I suppose that, bearing in mind his religious persuasion, he could have been buried at the Chapel. I know that the original Baptist chapel in Coleford had a burial ground but whether this was still in use in 1901 I have no idea. If it was in use the remains will have been reinterred somewhere else by now. The other possibility is Coleford Cemetery, consecrated in 1868.

In the BNA Gloucester Journal - Saturday 08 August 1908 there is a lengthy article about the death and inquest of Tom Pearce Thomas. Apparently he was involved in an accident during a pony race at the Clearwell Flower Show and, although apparently not seriously injured, died of convulsive fits not long afterwards.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread