Soudley School (General)

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, November 12, 2018, 20:37 (1986 days ago) @ annie helsdown

This is the report of Alex Hull’s retirement. I hope there is some useful information in it.

BNA Gloucester Citizen - Saturday 16 January 1937

FOREST SCHOOL HEAD RETIRES
MR. A. J. E. HULL'S MANY ACTIVITIES

Schoolmaster, sportsman, and general factotum of social work in the Soudley Valley. That is Mr. Alex J. E. Hull, who succeeded his father to the headmastership of Soudley Schools in 1905. Now he is retiring.
Mr. Hull had served as an assistant teacher under his father, after two years at Cheltenham Training College. Wolverhampton is his birthplace, and Mrs. Hull is a native of Cinderford. They have two sons and three daughters, but none has followed in the teaching profession.
Mr. Hull has been organist at St. Michael's Church since he was 14, beginning on an old harmonium in a corrugated iron building.
His name is associated with all the organisations that are concerned with the welfare of the people. He has an official capacity in most; he was the instigator of many. Unobtrusive but efficient, he has a genial tolerance and understanding that have gained for him an exceptional degree of affection and respect.
Mr. Hull started the movement in 1906 to get recreation ground in the village. It now controlled jointly with the Memorial Hall, and Mr. Hull is secretary.
He played cricket for St. John's; was secretary seven years, captain two years. Captain of Soudley Cricket Club 25 years, now holds the purse strings as treasurer. He is a governor of Gloucestershire Royal Infirmary, and chairman of Soudley Comrades' Club.

Wounded In France

During the Great War he served for two and a half years with the 14th Gloucester, and was wounded while on active service in France. On New Year's Day, 1935, he received a gold watch from friends at St. Michael's Church. He has also a gold Albert, presented to him by the people of Soudley 23 years ago. “I don't know what was for," he said to a “Citizen" reporter, with a smile.
Mr. Hull has witnessed extraordinary changes in the schools, and in conditions generally. “I remember when there were no decent roads in the village," he said, “and children often lost their shoes in the mud on the way to school. Now most of them come by omnibus.”
“In some ways conditions in the schools themselves have been greatly improved. There is not the old grind that there used be when we were paid by results. Domestic science and handicrafts have made a much broader curriculum.
“Better facilities for getting about have had a definite psychological effect on the people generally, but I have noticed no difference in the intellectual standard of the children.
“In the old days, the harvest thanksgiving, the church anniversary meetings and the annual treat occupied the thoughts the of people for months. There was nothing else beside work."
Mr. and Mrs. Hull are making their new home in London where most of their children are living.

Update. The BNA Gloucester Journal - Saturday 06 March 1937 has a photograph of Alex Hull planting trees in the churchyard at Soudley on the occasion of his retirement.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread