James Edward Corne 1887 married Lily Thomas (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, January 10, 2019, 23:26 (1931 days ago) @ Woodcroft48

You're very welcome, it will indeed be interesting to see what the birth certificate reveals ! Am I correct in thinking we have confirmed your own researches, seeing as you searched the Clerkenwell records before posting on the forum, noit that it's a problem as it's always good to get a second opinion astwere.

I can understand your mother sticking to her belief that Jim was born a Forester.
It reminds me of my own Mum, a very stubborn lady indeed. For decades she firmly believed her husband's mother and family all originated from London. This was purely an assumption based on the fact our elderly aunt Maud lived in London and had always done as far as we knew. Both Maud and her sister (my grandmother) passed away in the 1980s, my dad followed a few years later, and it was over 15 years later when I started researching my family history from scratch. My researches proved that Dad's mum, my grandmother, and all her family going back many generations all came from the same small part of the Forest where Dad was born and where they'd always lived as long as mum came to know the family, and not London at all. All of them that is bar one; one of my Gran's eight older siblings, our Aunt Maud of course, who I found had was working in service in West London at the time of the 1911 census, in the same house was another young girl from her home village. Maud was the same elderly aunt who's "London background" firmly convinced my mum all her mother-in-laws family were Londoners.....
In fact despite my researches Mum still wasn't convinced until I looked into Maud's own marriage in the Biggin Hill area, luckily she married a man with an unusual surname, and eventually Mum recalled having once briefly visited Dad's relatives of that name somewhere in London near a busy wartime airfield.....

So maybe you will eventually find more compelling evidence, perhaps by enlarging the various trees until you see a link between Chepstow and London like I eventually did in my case, or maybe it's just best to let it lie.

Good luck either way.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread