BAPTISMS IN NEWNHAM (Parish Records)

by Roselle @, Friday, January 11, 2019, 12:30 (1925 days ago) @ admin

If the church/chapel in the transcript is said to be a place such as Newnham and does not add the name of a denomination such as Baptist, Methodist etc then it will be a Church of England Parish Church. The Parish Church in Newnham is know as St Peter. Looking at the Baptism Record on Ancestry you will see at the top of the page "Church of England Baptisms" and the words "Baptisms solemnized in the Parish of Newnham".
Other denominations such as Baptist, Methodist etc are known as Non Conformist.
Hope this helps

Thank you very much for clarifying the information for me. My grandfather Jesse Giddings was one of 7 siblings, two of which were baptised at the Rodley and Walmore Hill Methodist Chapel. The eldest Joseph Guy was baptised C. of E. in Newport and the other 4 including my grandfather were baptised in Newnham. All 4 records say "Church of England Baptisms" so now I know it was St. Peter's Church. I did get confused with the definition of "Chapel".

My great grandfather William James Giddings is also mentioned on your website in the inquest section. He was a signalman at Newnham Station. On 27th March 1898, William was found dying in his signal box. Age 55 he left a wife and 5 surviving children.

This is my first post on your forum. I very much appreciate all the replies. Ros.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread