How old is a spinster? - marriage of Richard Nelms 1841 (General)

by jimashton @, Sunday, November 26, 2006, 06:00 (6364 days ago) @ BonnieNelms

Bonnie
Further to the question of the age of a spinster, I have just looked at the Parish Record for the marriage between Richard Nelmes & Eliza Baldwin that took place in Newland 1841. The significant thing here regarding the age is that whilst she is described as a spinster, which is a name given to any unmarried female regardless of age, the parish record also states "Full Age", which means - I think - over 21, i.e. born in 1820 or before.

I have 72 Nelmes in my Family Tree, but to put that in context, I also have 1463 Marfells, 314 Meeks, 294 Baldwins & 486 Brains. Most of the Nelmes information comes from my 3rd cousin with maiden name Nelmes, who also has a grandmother who was a Marfell. She has undertaken extensive research into the Nelmes family. I happen to be meeting her in London on Tuesday. If you can let me know further information about yourself before then via my email link such as parents, grandparents etc. I will ask if she has any information that might help in your researches. We will be meeting with another lady whose grandmother was a Marfell and great grand parents were a Marfell & a Baldwin, so she has done extensive research into the Baldwin Family.
Jim

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread