Samuel Preest, Gentleman about 1841 previous thread 2011 (General)

by Gillymott @, St Briavels, GL15, Sunday, January 27, 2019, 18:05 (1914 days ago) @ m p griffiths

I've only just noticed this thread and that it goes back to 2011.
I believe the Preest family members mentioned in this thread, Samuel Preest,Isaac Preest, William Preest, are members of the Preest family related to my mother Lilian Ellen Preest,
1909-1975.

Ancestors: Thomas Preest (Bream) freeminer reg.22/9/1838 & wife Sarah Freeman (from Lydney).
Son William Preest 1796-1864 (Bream) freeminer, Thomas also had a son Isaac Preest, a cattle dealer and a son called Samuel James Preest. The Isaac Preest & Samuel Preest above I believe are the children of John Preest and Sarah James (sister of Warren James, of F of Dean riots).

Isaac & Samuel were freeminers and the dates fit. There are a few Preests with the same forenames.
Grantley Preest is I believe Thomas Grantley Preest who married Charlotte Robins. He is the son I think of Isaac Preest, the cattle dealer, as above.

A first cousin who still lives in the Forest of Dean mentioned this document and his family all know about it. His father, one of my mother's brothers was a former miner at Princess Victoria but left before it closed down. I am quite happy to communicate with others about this doc. or other freemining activities if they would like. Our Preest family was a large family mid 19th century, the first documented evidence of their surname comes from the National Archives and is related to taxation in the thirteenth century, possibly the then poll tax and/or land tax early 13th century, the name - John Preest in Gloucestershire. Whether he is a more distant family ancestor or not we cannot prove.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread