Tom TAYLOR born Alvington abt 1873 (General)

by Valx, Sunday, April 28, 2019, 20:27 (1786 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

So to summarise, Tom Taylor born about 1873 and on the 1881 census as at a British school in Berkeley, was the son of John Taylor and Sarah Jane Taylor (nee Doughty born Swansea), being baptised in Oct 1872 at Alvington. Tom's father John being the son of Thomas Taylor. Tom later became a hotel keeper, marrying Ada Maude Leonard (her father being Samuel Leonard dec'd) in 1907.

Whereas Eliza Ann Taylor born and baptised in 1870 in Falfield (but shown as 1871 in censuses) was the daughter of William Taylor born 1838 (place unknown) and Eliza Taylor (nee Taylor) born 1847 Rockhampton, who married in St. Philip And St. Jacob, Bristol in June 1870. Perhaps a shotgun wedding? William's father was Thomas Taylor (stated in marriage details).

So can't say for certain if the two children at the school had Thomas as a common ancestor.

Eliza Taylor was the daughter of James Taylor and Ann nee Allen. I have found the James/Ann household on most censuses and most children were born in Rockhampton but the family ended up in Tintern. I have Eliza Taylor with Eliza Ann Taylor as visitors in James and Ann's household in the 1871 census in Tintern, but couldn't find William anywhere. Then Eliza Ann is at school in 1881, but not found Eliza or William, then in 1891 is with Eliza Taylor, widow, farmer, at Kingshill Farm, Hinton, Berkeley.

For Eliza Ann Taylor, I have her marriage in 1891 to Arthur John Leonard, born 1864, Uley, son of John Samuel Leonard born abt 1831 in Hill, Glos, and he was son of Samuel Leonard born 1791 in Hill. Ada M Leonard was one of Arthur John Leonard's sisters so probably the bride of Tom Taylor. I have already found plenty of Leonard info since I have been working back from Mary Leonard born 1901 and have found out a lot.

The conclusion is - too many Taylors to sort this out! And the mystery of where William was for each census.

Thanks once again to all of you who have provided such interesting and useful information so quickly.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread