WLIIAM TOOMEY ALIAS WILLIAM TOMMEY AND FIRST FOOT REGIMENT (General)

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Wednesday, September 25, 2019, 23:06 (1667 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Continuing with my search in to this soldiers life, I have found that he finished his career with the 2nd Battalion, 1st (Royal) Regiment of Foot as Officers Mess Sergeant.

Would any Forum user have any knowledge of the structure of a Foot Regiment in the mid 19th Century ?
In particular, would the Officers Mess have been attached to the Battalion Headquarters and therefor the Mess Sergeant also ?

I know that the Headquarters and three of the service Companies were on board ship in the St Laurence Seaway enroute from Canada to the West Indies when they were shipwrecked, luckily without loss of life. Sergeant William Toomey/Tommey was on board .
Although most of this research is outside The Forest of Dean, his younger brother James Toomey, Baptised in Churcham in 1824, also enlisted in the Army and served in the same Battalion , ending his long career as Colour Sergeant with the 2nd Battalion, 12th Regiment of Foot.

Thank you in advance

Sid Toomey

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread