Thomas Teague born 1791 English Bicknor (General)

by BelindaHill @, Monday, July 20, 2020, 08:37 (1348 days ago) @ BelindaHill

Me again.

On reading all these threads and considering my post above. As Thomas Teague was actually known as Teague otherwise Jones (as was his son James Teague), could it not be possible that this Bertha Morgan (maiden name Jones), was his mother (although it would have stated this in the census) or an Aunt? Is it a possibility that Thomas was illegitimate and that his name of Jones is his mother's maiden name, and that they knew who the father was - aka he was a Teague???? Just throwing the idea out there.

So, on this site I have now found a baptism you will all find interesting---

Thomas James (this transcription is mistranslated and is actually Jones. The original written page is on ancestry and is clearly Jones not James) baptised 28 October 1790 in English Bicknor. Mother - Bertha James (jones), Father - Not stated. Meaning illegitimate.

After this, Bertha married William Morgan in English Bicknor on 9/8/1792.

So his father possibly was one of the Teague families in the area. There were Teague families in English Bicknor. Just look at the parish records on this site and there area few possibles.

Even though he married into my Moore family, I find him fascinating. Especially given the name change. I suspect it was because Mary was pregnant with James when they got married as James was born in August a few months later. They married away from English Bicknor and Abenhall (where she was from, although she was probably in service in Newnham) in Newnham, and then moved to Mitcheldean where she gave birth to James. So perhaps the name change was to hide from the shame??????? Could be another reason, though.

If you need to see the written will of Benjamin Moore in which Thomas Teague and Mary are named then you can view my tree on Ancestry as gedcom hill2017.

Please let me know what everyone thinks.

Belinda.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread