The Pumphrey Pedigree (General)

by Mark Pumphrey, Saturday, July 31, 2021, 19:25 (972 days ago)

Hello,

I just joined the Forest of Dean FHT Forum today, July 31, 2021, and haven't read any of the posts yet, so this comment may be old news for some or all of you: I live in El Paso, Texas and lived in rural Kentucky as a child. There are Pumphreys in small numbers all over the USA (and there is a possibly legendary story about why there are small pockets of Pumphreys all over the US).

The Pumphrey Pedigree is a big book written by an architect from California, Larry D. Pumphrey, quite some time ago that traces the Pumphrey family back as far as the year 1410, specifically to the two towns of Newnham and Little Dean is Gloucestershire, and also Charlton Kings near Cheltenham a little later. Larry organized the book in a very orderly way, and included some anomalies, such as the period in which some of my ancestors were known as Weale rather than Pumphrey because of a blended family in which a Pumphrey married a Weale and some (but not all) of the children adopted the name Weale rather than Pumphrey. Also, variations of the name covered in the early part of the book include the name Pomfrey rather than Pumphrey, for example.

Larry had to make some educated guesses in a few parts of the earliest known family history in England, and includes a disclaimer to this end. He also mentions that 1410 was as early as he could search the family history because birth and death records were destroyed in or around 1400 in a parish church fire.

In most coat of arms books and articles, Pumphrey is identified as a Welsh name, which has made me wonder if at some point prior to 1410, the family migrated from Wales to the Forest of Dean area which as you know is not all that far from the border with Wales.

Some libraries have copies of The Pumphrey Pedigree. You can search for libraries that have a copy at by searching "Find It In a Library" on any Internet Search Engine. I do not know if it is still in print or if there are used copies available on other online bookstore websites. The cost when I purchased it many years ago was $50.

On a side note, I hope to visit the Forest of Dean area someday once the pandemic is over. I have used a street view map to literally "walk" down the streets of Newnham and Little Dean and from that I feel like I am already intimately familiar with the area. -- Mark Edwin Pumphrey, 812 Dulce Tierra Drive, El Paso, TX 79912 USA 1-(915) 504-4925

We have removed your email address to protect you from spammers etc.
Please read Posting Guidelines where is is clearly stated that we will remove email addresses if quoted in posts.
We would also recommend you remove your postal address to minimise the risk of identity theft.
Admin

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread