WW1 Submarine UB91 - Captained by Lt. Brookes. (General)

by Bryan Rendell, Tuesday, March 06, 2007, 07:15 (6273 days ago)

I am researching Chepstow's Unique War Memorial. It is the only War memorial Gun in this Country. The Gun was presented to Chepstow by King George V in recognition of the bravery of William Charles Williams VC, who was awarded his VC for his bravery at Gallipoli in 1915. The gun is from a German Submarine.

During my researches I found out that the German submarine UB 91 surrendered at Harwich in Nov. 1918 and Lt. Brookes and 5 crew took the submarine on goodwill visits to Cardiff, Newport, Swansea, Port Talbot and Pembroke Dock. The submarine was broken up at Briton Ferry in 1921 and the gun brought to Chepstow.

When interviewed by the Argus reporter in Newport Lt. Brookes told the press that he was born in Blaenavon, but his father now worked in The Flour Mill Colliery, Bream.

My researches are nearly finished but I would like to know if any 'Brookes' in the Forest of Dean are related to Lt. Brookes.

Possibly a grandfather who was a sub-mariner in WW1.

If any relation has any old photographs or memories that I could use in my researches I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Bryan Rendell

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread