JORDAN Lydbrook (and EVERSON) (General)

by bexxi @, Friday, December 07, 2007, 03:27 (5985 days ago)

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to say hello and state my main FoD interests. I live in Germany and have been researching my Welsh / English heritage for about ten years.

Among other things, I have two large databases of JORDAN and EVERSON families, both centred on the Forest and Monmouthshire but with extensive connections elsewhere. Anyone else with connections to these families is more than welcome to ask me if I have any information on what they're interested in.

I have not yet been able to establish clear links between my Jordans and the other Jordan families in the Forest, but I thought I'd give a quick(ish) rundown of the main players in my own tree, including the Eversons as they also had Forest connections. They seem to have been a fairly itinerant lot.

Generation 1
Thomas JORDAN married Ann DUNN 9 March 1788 in Mitcheldean.

Children were:
i. Francis JORDAN, bap. 1790, English Bicknor.
ii. Thomas JORDAN, b. 1790, English Bicknor; d. January 1850, Tintern Abbey MON. (Note: Thomas Jordan owned property in Upper Lydbrook which he willed to relatives, but correspondence shows there was a dispute of some sort; his sister Harriet was living in Lydbrook in 1851, though).
iii. Mark JORDAN, b. 1795, Lugwardine; d. July 1835, Monmouth.
iv. Harriet JORDAN, b. 1802, Upton Magna, SAL. (Married Benjamin GRICE)
v. Richard JORDAN, b. 1802, Upton Magna, SAL; d. 1858, Covington, KY. (Married Mary JONES)
vi. Dessimore JORDAN, b. 1807, Upton Magna, SAL; m. William BUDDING, 7 April 1828, Llanwenarth, MON.

Generation 2
Mark JORDAN married Mary EVERSON, daughter of John EVERSON and Ann TURLEY, in Monmouth. She was born 1803 in Monmouth.

Children were:
i. Charlotte JORDAN, b. 1829; d. 1906, Whitchurch, GLA aged 76.
ii. Elizabeth JORDAN, b. 1833; d. 1877, Whitchurch; m. Richard BROWN, 29 October 1857, Whitchurch St Mary’s.
iii. James Powell JORDAN, b. 21 December 1826, Monmouth; d. 18 April 1913, Whitchurch.
iv. Mark JORDAN (died young).

Generation 3
James Powell JORDAN married twice AND both brides were his first cousins, daughters of his mother’s brother!

(1) He married Charlotte EVERSON 19 October 1850 in Bethany Baptist Chapel, St Mary Street, Cardiff, daughter of William EVERSON and ANN Grice (Ann was the sister of Benjamin mentioned above). Charlotte was born 7 April 1829, and died 1864 in Whitchurch Village, aged 35. They had four children, all born Whitchurch GLA.

(2) He married Rhoda EVERSON 13 March 1865 in Cardiff Register Office, daughter of WILLIAM EVERSON and ANN GRICE. She was born 8 March 1832 in Monmouth, and died November 1883 in Whitchurch. They had two children, both born Whitchurch GLA, one my great grandfather River JORDAN.

I'd be excited to hear from anyone with potential links to this family, and I'd be pleased to try to help anyone who'd like me to check my catabases for their own JORDAN or EVERSON connections.

Best wishes,
Rebecca Davies

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread