Transcription project progress report (Announce)

by grahamdavison @, Monday, February 18, 2008, 05:02 (5884 days ago)

PROJECT PROGRESS

The Forest of Dean transcription project has now been running for just over 2 years with a total of 400,000 records having been added to the database. The project currently covers 52 parishes in Gloucestershire, namely:-

Abenhall, Alvington, Awre, Beachley, Blaisdon, Blakeney, Bream, Bromsberrow, Bulley, Christchurch, Churcham, Cinderford St.Johns, Cinderford St.Stephens, Clearwell, Coleford, Corse, Drybrook, Dymock, English Bicknor, Flaxley, Hartpury, Hewelsfield, Huntley, Kempley, Lassington, Littledean, Longhope, Lydbrook, Lydney, Maisemore, Minsterworth, Mitcheldean, Newent, Newland, Newnham, Oxenhall, Parkend, Pauntley, Preston by Ledbury, Ruardean, Rudford, St. Briavels, Staunton, Staunton by Newent, Tainton, Tibberton, Tidenham, Tutshill, Upleadon, Viney Hill, Westbury & Woolaston.

together with 15 Herefordshire border parishes, namely:-

Aston Ingham, Bishopswood, Goodrich, Hope Mansell, Lea, Ledbury, Linton, Little Marcle, Much Marcle, Ross on Wye, Upton Bishop, Walford, Welsh Bicknor, Weston under Penyard & Whitchurch.

and a further 6 Monmouthshire border parishes, namely:-

Chapel Hill, Chepstow, Llandogo, Penalt, St. Arvans & Tintern.

In addition to these Church of England records, all of the Gloucestershire Forest of Dean non conformist records are being added to the database, together with the non conformist records from the Herefordshire and Monmouthshire border areas.

It is estimated that when the project is nearing completion in about 12 months time, the database will contain around 600,000 records.

For Gloucestershire the filming of parish and non conformist registers is now almost complete. There are still quite a number of registers which are either in progress or awaiting transcribers, and new volunteers are always welcome.

For Monmouthshire we have been working closely with Mike John and have copied most of the available transcripts of border parishes from his website. We have discussed the possibility of adding Monmouth to the database, and I have agreed with Mike that we will help him transcribe these records as soon as they are available as digital imagery.

Progress on the Herefordshire border parishes has been much slower. This is mainly because it is a 250 mile round trip for me to visit the Herefordshire Record Office, and so I would rather do this when the lighter days arrive. There are still 80 Church of England registers to photograph, and to date I haven't looked to see how many non-conformist registers there are. Hopefully we can complete the filming of these by late summer.

Although I want to complete all the above records before extending the project any further, I would still welcome any suggestions. I had thought about filming the BTs to fill in any gaps in the parish registers, and others have suggested that we might add the parishes on the opposite bank of the Severn (e.g. Arlingham, Frampton, Longney etc). Also since many Forest folk got married in Gloucester it has been suggested we might transcribe the Gloucester marriages, which could be quite a job.

It's good to hear that so many researchers are benefiting from the database, let's hope the transcribers will keep up the good work.

Graham Davison
Project Coordinator

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread