The Bible Christians of the Forest of Dean (Announce)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, February 27, 2008, 16:28 (5895 days ago)

The following details were sent to us by Rev Colin Short

The Standard Work on the BCs is ... "The Bible Christians 1815-1907" Thomas Shaw, London: Epworth 1965, and on the BCs in the Forest, "The Bible Christians of the Forest of Dean" George Lawrence, Lydney: Mrs M.A.Lawrence 1985.

They were a west country branch of Methodism, but did not have a mission in India. They should not be confused with the vegetarian Bible Christians of Salford, Lancs, who were never in the Forest. More details from me.

The Bible Christians of the Forest of Dean

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Thursday, February 28, 2008, 09:13 (5895 days ago) @ admin

Is there a definitive text on the history of Methodism in the Forest of Dean? Some of my relatives were Primative Methodists and I wondered how one branch of Methodism relates to another?

by PhilipN @, Friday, February 29, 2008, 01:47 (5894 days ago) @ rookancestrybest

The Primitive Methodist church commenced when Hugh Bourne was expelled from the Methodist Church. There followed many evangelistic meetings throughout the country and it had a great impact in the late 1800s. Googling the various groups will give you a general understanding of why each group formed.
Phil

by rookancestrybest @, United Kingdom, Friday, February 29, 2008, 11:27 (5893 days ago) @ PhilipN

Thanks for your prompt response.

by winky @, Winelands, South Africa, Sunday, March 02, 2008, 19:46 (5891 days ago) @ admin

i knew george lawrence and his wife really well, in fact in later years i even bought a painting he had done of st.briavels castle. he did have a missionary to africa along with his wife in the 1950s. regards

RSS Feed of thread