Hawkins brothers (General)

by llangrove, Friday, September 02, 2005, 11:29 (6813 days ago)

Where do I go from here?

My grandfather, Albert b.6/5/1887, had two brothers. James, b. 1880 and Thomas b. 1889. I have no idea what happened to either of them.

Family tradition says that one went to Canada for a time, but returned to England. Their mother was Harriet Hawkins(unwed), fathers possibly George Stephens and Thomas Smith. Stephens was a "distant" relative and I have limited info on him.

Harriet later married Philip Morgan. The family lived in Berry Hill and were all listed on 1901 Census, residing in West Dean,(I don't know if they lived together). Can anyone suggest where I should look next? Thanks!!!

Hawkins brothers

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, September 02, 2005, 12:41 (6813 days ago) @ llangrove

James Hawkins abt 1813 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head Berry Hill, West Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Jane Hawkins abt 1813 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Berry Hill, West Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Harriet Ann Hawkins abt 1850 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Berry Hill, West Dean, Gloucestershire, England
James Hawkins abt 1880 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Grandson Berry Hill, West Dean, Gloucestershire, England

1891 Five Acres
Morgan William abt 1877 Dingstowe Monmouth
Morgan Arthur abt 1883 Dingstowe Monmouth
Morgan Anne abt 1881 Dingstowe Monmouth
Haskins, Harriet abt 1850 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Servant West Dean Gloucestershire
Hawkins Albert abt 1886 Monmouth

1901 Five Acres
Philip Morgan abt 1847 Micheltroy, Monmouthshire, Wales Head West Dean Monmouthshire
Harriett Morgan abt 1849 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife West Dean Monmouthshire
Albert Hawkins abt 1886 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Brother West Dean Monmouthshire
James Hawkins abt 1880 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Brother West Dean Monmouthshire
Arthur Morgan abt 1883 Tregan, Monmouthshire, Wales Son West Dean Monmouthshire
Thomas Morgan abt 1898 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Grandson West Dean Monmouthshire

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Hawkins brothers

by llangrove, Friday, September 02, 2005, 13:52 (6813 days ago) @ slowhands

Dear Slowhands,

Thanks once again for your assistance! Because there is a space in the 1901 Census info between Harriet Morgan and Philip Morgan, does that mean different pages or different residences? Thanks again!!

Hawkins brothers

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, September 02, 2005, 15:24 (6813 days ago) @ llangrove

I'll recheck the image but from memory they are living together in 1891 and 1901

--

Hawkins brothers

by llangrove, Saturday, September 03, 2005, 15:14 (6812 days ago) @ slowhands

Could you tell me if you are able to find a listing in the 1901 Census for a Thomas Hawkins, age 13, Newland Gloucester? And who is he living with?

A BIG thank you!!!

Thomas Hawkins 1888 Newland

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, September 03, 2005, 17:37 (6812 days ago) @ llangrove

1901 Broadwell Lane End
Benjamin Hawkins abt 1854 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Head West Dean Monmouthshire
Emma Hawkins abt 1873 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Wife West Dean Monmouthshire
Ernest Hawkins abt 1894 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean Monmouthshire
Ethel Hawkins abt 1898 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean Monmouthshire
Gertie Hawkins abt 1900 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Daughter West Dean Monmouthshire
Thomas Hawkins abt 1888 Newland, Gloucestershire, England Son West Dean

--

Hawkins brothers

by llangrove, Saturday, April 07, 2007, 09:30 (6231 days ago) @ llangrove

I just rec'vd birth certificate for Thomas William Hawkins. He was born 12 October, 1883, Berry Hill West Dean. I have never been able to find him living with the family, or anywhere else! Now that I have the correct date of birth, the Thomas, living with Benjamin Hawkins probably isn't him. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thomas William Hawkins 1883

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 04:17 (6228 days ago) @ llangrove

Name: Thomas William Hawkins
Year of Registration: 1883
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Monmouth (1837-1939)
County: Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 23

Which family does he "belong" to ?

Thomas William Hawkins 1883

by llangrove, Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 15:27 (6227 days ago) @ slowhands

He's the son of Harriet Ann Hawkins and ?. Brothers were James Harvey Hawkins b. 22 December, 1879 and Albert Ernest Hawkins b. 6 May, 1887. I was beginning to think he was actually Thomas Morgan, the son/grandson of Harriet's husband, Philip. But the good folks in Cinderford found him!!!

I don't have a clue to what happened to Thomas or James(after 1901). My aunts thought one of the brothers went to Cananda for a while. Relatives still alive in the Forest have no memory of either one.

Hawkins brothers 1901

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, September 03, 2005, 17:40 (6812 days ago) @ llangrove

As far as I can see from the Census image the Hawkins brothers are described as Lodgers, but the "family" unit MOrgan/Hawkins is all in one "unit" at Five Acres.

S

--

Hawkins brothers

by llangrove, Saturday, September 03, 2005, 23:17 (6812 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks, once again Slowhands! The Thomas Hawkins of Newland is clearly not my g-uncle. I cannot find an entry for him in the Free BMD index and he is not with Harriet on the 1891 Census......he just vanished.

Again, thanks for trying!

HAWKINS stray 1891 in Yorkshire

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, September 04, 2005, 07:00 (6812 days ago) @ llangrove

Hawkins, Bingham abt 1855 Coleford, Gloucestershire, England Lodger Normanton Yorkshire
Hawkins, Mary abt 1866 Coleford, Gloucestershire, England Lodger Wife Normanton Yorkshire
Hawkins, Tom abt 1888 Coleford, Gloucestershire, England Lodger Son Normanton

--

by llangrove, Sunday, September 04, 2005, 12:06 (6811 days ago) @ slowhands

...Intereting! In all my research I have not come across the name "Bingham" Hawkins!!! Toms, Jims, Freds and Richards galore!!! This deserves a second look! Thanks SLowhands!!!

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, September 04, 2005, 12:28 (6811 days ago) @ llangrove

I suspect he is Benjamin 1853/4 from Lane End - you have to picture a Yorkshire Enumerator listening to a Forest Accent ....

"Name ?"
" Ben awld butt "

--

by llangrove, Sunday, September 04, 2005, 14:42 (6811 days ago) @ slowhands

LOL! LOl! LOl! I love it!!!

by llangrove, Sunday, September 04, 2005, 15:01 (6811 days ago) @ llangrove

Benjamin Hawkins was a first cousin of Harriet Hawkins Morgan. I'll probably never know but......As Harriet had a difficult life she could of "handed" Thomas over to Benjamin and Mary. Sheer speculation! Thanks!

Hawkins brothers - NEVER Give Up!

by Llangrove @, Pennsylvania U.S.A., Tuesday, October 12, 2010, 02:26 (4948 days ago) @ llangrove

On 20 September I was perusing the Inquests on this site and found the first clue, in 20 years of searching, for one of my Grandfather's brothers. I posted a message on Ancestry.com. On, 29 September 2010, I was contacted by the great grand-daughter of James H.L. Hawkins! James settled near, Bridgend, Wales. He died there, in 1959. His grand-daughter, lives there, to this day!

And on 7 October 2010, I received this information from, a third cousin who still resides in the Forest of Dean. "Have just found something in my notes that states your grandfather Albert's brother Thomas married Flossie Nelmes and went to Canada, but did come back to the U.K." Thanks to this site's Parish Records Index, I found, Tom was raised by his father and used the surname SMITH. He and Florence had three daughters, Freida, Peggy and Florence. It's possible, Tom died in 1958, in the Forest of Dean.

The moral of the story is NEVER Give Up! One little clue and a lot of help from Slowhands and the mystery is finally solved!

Hawkins brothers - NEVER Give Up!

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, October 12, 2010, 17:56 (4947 days ago) @ Llangrove

Thanks !

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=entry&id=7986

--

RSS Feed of thread