Sallow Vallets Lodge (General)

by Peter @, Friday, September 02, 2005, 12:03 (6813 days ago)

I'm looking for information on Sallow Vallets Lodge somewhere in the East/west Dean area. It was a keepers lodge and I think it could have still been exsisting in 1994. Does anybody know its exact location and if it is still standing

Sallow Vallets Lodge

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, September 02, 2005, 12:58 (6813 days ago) @ Peter

..... the Sallow Vallets Inclosure is near the junction of the A4136 and B4234
near Worral Hill.

and there is a Lodge at
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/
coords 360697,214239

this should be the Sallow Vallets Lodge

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Sallow Vallets Lodge

by Peter, Friday, September 02, 2005, 14:39 (6813 days ago) @ slowhands

Slow hand
Many thanks for the speedy response. I think you are probably right as the census for 1891 mentions Sallow Vallets, and Worrell Hill Colliery. I have some more queries which I shall be posting shortly

Sallow Vallets Lodge

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, September 03, 2005, 18:07 (6812 days ago) @ slowhands

... also known as Sally Vallets

--

Sallow Vallets Lodge

by James Phillips-Evans @, Thursday, May 18, 2006, 00:16 (6556 days ago) @ slowhands

This is very interesting. The will of my ancestor Aaron Hale, yeoman and coal miner of Ruardean (d. 1727, pr. 1731) states that he owned a coal mining site named the Sally Vallet. It always struck me as a peculiar name.

Sallow Vallets Lodge

by May @, Sunday, September 04, 2005, 06:52 (6812 days ago) @ Peter

If you look at the oldmaps website and type Worrall Hill, Gloucestershire in the place search box, you will find a lodge with a field behind it, to the right of the old colliery. The field borders the A4136 nowadays. This is Sallow Vallets Lodge and it is still very much lived in. The house has been extended in recent years.

You will probably also get a present day photo of it on this site.

Hope this is of interest, May

Sallow Vallets Lodge - photo

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, September 17, 2005, 12:42 (6798 days ago) @ Peter

New Regard Number 19
Page 10

" Also known as Longhill Lodge .. situated near Worral Hill..... built 1811, once home of William Briscoe... it is now privately owned"

( photograph Wm. J Mountjoy)

--

RSS Feed of thread