Latimer Lodge (General)

by Peter, Tuesday, September 06, 2005, 12:48 (6778 days ago)

Anybody know where latimer Lodge, little Hill was located and does it still exsist. I've tried looking on old map.co.uk but I am having trouble locating it

Latimer Lodge, Littledean Hill

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, September 06, 2005, 12:52 (6778 days ago) @ Peter

top of Little Dean Hill nr Edge Hills / Collafield and St Annals Mine

map ref

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Co-ords 366405,214450

Latimer Road and a school are there today ...

Latimer Lodge

by Sam Hale @, Sunday, September 11, 2005, 14:16 (6773 days ago) @ Peter

Hi, for information on all the forest lodges look at two issues of the New Regard which has articles on the old and newer lodges researched by my grandfather. If unable to get hold of these i would be more than happy to e-mail u any information

Latimer Lodge

by Peter, Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 14:33 (6771 days ago) @ Sam Hale

Sam
Thanks for the info but do you know which issues these articles were in?

New Regard -Lodges

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, September 13, 2005, 17:13 (6771 days ago) @ Peter

from http://homepages.which.net/~keith.walker3/LHSnews.html

Issue 19 - Forest Lodges Part 2
< can not find the index for Issue 18 - but I suspect Part 1 is there ! >

Following Geoff Waygood's excellent articles in the New Regard about the Forest Lodges, he tells me that, courtesy of Mr Melville Watts, a photograph of the now demolished Russell's Lodge, near Parkend, has come to light. He is wondering if there are any other old photos around of other lodges that have since been demolished which are as follows:-
Astonbridge Lodge, The Pludds.
Chestnuts Lodge, Littledean / Greenbottom area, within the inclosure.
Haywood Lodge, Edgehills.
Lincoln Hill Lodge, off the Spruce Drive, Speech House.
Lea Bailey Lodge, near Bailey Lane End
Shutcastle Lodge, Bream.
Staple End Lodge, within the enclosure above Soudley.
Barnhill Lodge, near Broadwell.
Kensley Lodge, near Speech House. (NB The original lodge which was burnt down)

New Regard -Lodges

by blackwoodgirl, Sunday, January 19, 2020, 13:10 (1530 days ago) @ slowhands

I don´t have any photographs to share but I think my dad, Douglas, and his family (Raymond and Ruth Bosley lived there in 1930s with Cecil, my dad´s older brother....and maybe Mary and Colin)
My grandmother nee Adams was a forester´s daughter....several of her brothers went to Africa and Canada
Quite a few of the Bosley/Yemm side went to America...I assume Pennsylvania to work in the coal industry
I would love to have more information about the families on both sides

New Regard -Lodges; Bosley / Yemm

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, January 23, 2020, 21:24 (1526 days ago) @ blackwoodgirl

Hi Blackwoodgirl,
as you can see you've replied to posts from quite a few years ago. Altho' it's not impossible, it seems unlikely their authors will see your replies. I say this as their usernames are displayed in black, rather than blue like ours are - this indicates they've not visited the forum for over a year or so (excepting Slowhands, who sadly doesn't post these days). I do hope I'm wrong and they do see and reply, but... ?

Regarding your ancestors who went to the USA, it's hard to say for sure without knowing their names or dates, but you may be able to trace them via the passenger shipping lists and the USA Censuses. These can be accessed free-of-charge on the FamilySearch website.

My quick internet search found this page which may be of interest to you if you've not already seen it. Like all links it's best to open it into a new tab or window.
https://www.geni.com/people/William-Yemm-Bosley/6000000069334362850

Hoping this is of interest. If you have any specific questions regarding your family history researches please post them and we'll do our best to help you.

atn J

New Regard -Lodges; Bosley / Yemm

by boseley, Sunday, January 23, 2022, 07:52 (795 days ago) @ Jefff

Appreciate the chances of this being seen may be slim.

Trying to find some more details around the Bosely(Boseley)/Yemm family name change.

It seems once you go back before 1900 everyone seems to have the same names..

All help appreciated.

Latimer Lodge

by ricval, Wednesday, September 02, 2009, 16:43 (5321 days ago) @ Sam Hale

My ancestor John White and his wife Elizabeth (Betty) lived in Latimer Lodge (Littledean Lodge) in the early 1800s. He was Keeper of Littledean Walk for 43 years. I would be grateful for any information you have on The Lodge, the people who lived there and the Keepers of the Forest. Thank you.

Valerie Stubbings

Latimer Lodge Photo

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Wednesday, September 02, 2009, 16:56 (5321 days ago) @ ricval

Photo of the Hall and Writing room and also one of the corner of the siting room.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/gallery/slowhands/

Latimer Lodge

by harper-white, Tuesday, October 06, 2009, 13:02 (5287 days ago) @ ricval

Dear Valerie

I am also a descendant of John White, Keeper of Latimer Lodge, and have a lot of information from my Mother (maiden name Kibble) she was mjarried to Wilfred Harper White. I also have information on the Whites from other family members.

Latimer Lodge

by ricval, Monday, October 25, 2010, 17:54 (4903 days ago) @ harper-white

Thank you for your reply. Since posting my query I have been put in contact with a number of members of the family including your mother!
Regards
Valerie

Latimer Lodge

by Maurice G Teague @, Wednesday, November 09, 2005, 22:35 (6714 days ago) @ Peter

Latimer Lodge still exists adjacent to Littledean Hill Rd and Causeway Rd overlooking the horseshoe bend of the River Severn.They were the posseors of a couple of the few tennis courts in Cinderford and also a very early TV setie pre 1939-45 war.During the said war a Jewish German refugee stayed there,he came past my home daily on his way to Cinderford Police Station to register his whereabouts.The last owners I know of was 20 years ago named Trump who had a butchers shop in the High St [now demolished] before that I believe the name of Evans comes to mind.Mr Trump had the largest German Shepherd dog I have ever seen,no doubt extremely well fed from his shop.
I hope this information is helpful.

RSS Feed of thread