Watkins Family of Ruardean (General)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Tuesday, March 01, 2005, 08:55 (6967 days ago)

Here are some details of my WATKINS of Ruardean Gloucestershire England. My long standing search is to find some record of a birth or a connection with other Watkins' in the area of John WATKINS (b. abt 1810). On one record John is listed as being born in Monmouth and another the place of birth is Ruardean.

I am descended from Esther WATKINS (b.1838) a daughter of John WATKINS. Esther had 7 children all presumably illegitimate as there is no mention of a father. All have the surname of WATKINS. Joseph (b.1867) my Great-grandfather is one of those 7 children. Most of this information has been obtained from censuses.

Of the 7 children I have only managed to find a record of one birth that of Oliver. On his birth certificate the fathers name is left blank. I'm sure there is more to it than meets the eye especially as the way illegitimacy was looked upon in those times hopefully something will come to light in the future.

Family History of John WATKINS

John WATKINS born abt 1810 (Possibly Ruardean or Monmouth) died 19 Nov 1877 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England buried 27 Nov 1877 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England

married 9 May 1831 in Goodrich Herefordshire England Comfort COLE born 1807 in Welsh Bicknor Monmouthshire Wales christened 30 Aug 1807 in Welsh Bicknor Monmouthshire Wales died 27 Jul 1885 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England buried 29 Jul 1885 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England daughter of William COLE and Martha HOAR

1 Elizabeth WATKINS born about 1831 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England christened 28 Aug 1831 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England

married (unknown)

2 Sarah WATKINS born about 1834 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England christened 16 Feb 1834 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England

married 15 Nov in East Dean Gloucestershire England John WILLIAMS born 1834 Plump Hill Gloucestershire England

3 Joseph WATKINS born 1836 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England christened 1836 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England died 5 Mar 1837 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England

4 Esther WATKINS born 1838 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England christened 4 Mar 1838 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England

married (unknown)

5 John WATKINS born 1840 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England christened 23 Feb 1840 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England died 1921 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England buried 18 Jan 1921 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England

married 7 Oct 1860 in Drybrook Gloucestershire England Annie JONES born about 1840 daughter of Samuel JONES

6 Eve WATKINS born 1844 in High Beech Gloucestershire England christened 13 Mar 1844 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England

7 Jane Hannah WATKINS born 1846 in High Beech Gloucestershire England christened 25 Jan 1846 in Ruardean Gloucestershire England

married William JORDAN.

8 Mary WATKINS born 1853

Watkins Family of Ruardean

by Graham Warmington @, Sunday, May 22, 2005, 05:20 (6885 days ago) @ admin

David,

My Watkins ancestry seems to mirror yours. My great great grandparents were John Watkins (1836- after 1902) from Lydbrook, son of Stephen Watkins and Caroline Jones (1836-1902) from Ruardean, dau of Samuel Jones. They were married in May 1860 at the Church of the Holy Trinity.

I am trying to find out where they are buried (and also when John died). I have a photo of the grave taken just after Caroline died. I have visited Holy Jesus Church at Lydbrook (their home was Lydbrook Hill) and checked the MI for the Church. I have also visited the church at Ruardean and again checked the MI for that church - but without any success.

According to the marriage certificate, Samuel Jones was a miner.

Checking back through my notes I notice that you wrote to me in March 2000 mentioning that your ancestors were from the Forest, but that none of the names I mentioned at the time were familiar. Since then I have discovered my great great grandmother's maiden name - so here's hoping that there might be a link.

Graham Warmington

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Sunday, May 22, 2005, 07:26 (6885 days ago) @ Graham Warmington

Another interesting similarity is that you mention your John married Caroline JONES and her fathers name was Samuel. The John WATKINS (b.1840) I have on my family tree married an Anne JONES and would you believe the name of Anne's father is Samuel. Recently, I made a new connection with a distant cousin of mine who is descended from John and Anne and because of that I've been looking a little bit into the Jones side of things even though that family is not directly connected to me.

I have a few censuses which include Ann and Samuel but cannot find any Caroline. In case this means anything to you I have a copy of the the birth certificate of Ann JONES, it lists the father as Samuel JONES and the mother as Elizabeth JONES - formerly GAGG.

Dave Watkins

Caroline Jones who married John Watkins

by Graham Warmington @, Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 10:24 (6882 days ago) @ admin

I have rechecked once again to try to isolate my Caroline Jones on the 1851 Glos Census disk that I have a copy of.

In terms of age and birthplace, the only likely candidate is the member of the following household living in the Section II area that includes Lydbrook Hill:

Stephen Jones 59 Engineer St Briavels
Sybil 67 Ruardean
Aaron Hale 33 son coal-miner Ruardean
Stephen 29 coal-miner Ruardean
Caroline Jones 16 gr-dau Ruardean

Graham

Caroline Jones who married John Watkins

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, November 29, 2005, 20:00 (6694 days ago) @ Graham Warmington

The "address" on the 1851 is Forge Hill nr Lydbrook

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Watkins Family of Ruardean / High Beech 1841

by Slowhand-s @, Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 12:07 (6882 days ago) @ admin

Ho 107 364 7 folio 32

John Watkins 30 Collier N
Comfort 30 N
Elizabth 9 Y
Sarah 7 Y
Hester 3 Y
John 16 months Y

Watkins Family Clyro Radnorshire / Lydbrook

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, December 30, 2005, 21:43 (6663 days ago) @ Graham Warmington

Stephen Watkins and Elinor Williams marry October 1801 Clyro Radnorshire

1851 Joys Green
Stephen Watkins abt 1807 Clirs, Radnorshire, Wales Head East Dean Gloucestershire Stone Mason
Sarah Watkins abt 1806 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Clara Watkins abt 1847 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Ellen Watkins abt 1834 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Harriett Watkins abt 1838 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
John Watkins abt 1836 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Stephen Watkins abt 1840 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Daughter (!) East Dean Gloucestershire

1861 Joys Green
Stephen Watkins abt 1807 Clirow, Radnorshire, Wales Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Sarah Watkins abt 1806 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Clara Watkins abt 1848 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Stephen Watkins abt 1841 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean

John Watkins abt 1836 Jays Green, Gloucestershire, England Head West Dean Gloucestershire
Caroline Watkins abt 1835 East Dean; Woodside, Gloucestershire, England Wife West Dean Gloucestershire

John Watkins abt 1836 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Caloline Watkins abt 1835 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Clara Watkins abt 1869 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Sarah Watkins abt 1867 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
William Watkins abt 1861 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire

1881Lydbrook Hill, Westbury On Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
John Watkins abt 1836 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Head
Caroline Watkins abt 1835 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, England Wife
Clara Watkins abt 1869 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Daughter
Sarah Watkins abt 1866 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Daughter
Stephen Watkins abt 1877 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son
William Watkins abt 1862 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son

--

Watkins Family Clyro Radnorshire / Lydbrook

by Graham Warmington, Monday, January 09, 2006, 19:17 (6653 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks for the information - especially regarding the suggested date and names of Stephen Watkins' parents and the family entries for the 1861 census.

Graham

Stephen WATKINS 1807 Clyro Radnorshire / Lydbrook

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, January 28, 2006, 03:25 (6634 days ago) @ Graham Warmington

Name: Watkins, Stephen
Record Type: Deaths
Age at death: 64
Quarter: March
Year: 1871
District: Monmouth (1837-1939)
County: Gloucestershire Herefordshire Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 12

--

by May @, Friday, January 27, 2006, 13:45 (6635 days ago) @ Graham Warmington

Graham, Have you checked the other Lydbrook Cemetery?

May

by Graham Warmington @, Saturday, January 28, 2006, 02:08 (6634 days ago) @ May

May,

I am intrigued - what other cemetery? I did not realise that there is another one other than at the Parish church.

Graham

by May @, Saturday, January 28, 2006, 15:50 (6634 days ago) @ Graham Warmington

This is only a small cemetery on the hillside behind the Baptist Church, Lower Lydbrook but there are still some gravestones standing. I imagine there will be records at Glos record office but haven't looked at their online catalogue recently. Hope this helps you.

by Graham Warmington @, Saturday, January 28, 2006, 21:06 (6634 days ago) @ May

Cheers, May.
Actually I was aware of the Baptist graves - a few months ago I wrote to the local Church Secretary on the off-chance that the grave might be there (despite the fact that there was no evidence that the Watkins were Baptists), but to no avail. I just wondered when I received your message, whether there was a civic cemetery in the area. Thanks for the thought (and the note).
Graham

Watkins of Pwlymeyric, Mathern & St. Pierre, Monmouthshire

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Tuesday, November 29, 2005, 17:50 (6694 days ago) @ admin

My husband Ian Stuart Watkins' branch of the Watkins family came from Pwlymeyric, Mathern & St. Pierre, Monmouthshire. His great grandfather we believe was Frederick & great grandmother Charlotte Watkins. His grandmother was Florence M Watkins (unmarried). His father was Harold Watkins dob 21/02/1911.

Ian's grandmother Florence had 3 brothers Herbert, Frederick and Hubert, and a sister Gertrude.

Are you aware of any of the above from your research and if so could you please let me know. I have reached an impasse for we are not at all certain if the above information is actually my husband's family. My husband's parents never discussed his father's family. I can only assume for the obvious reason.

Florence Watkins 1878 Pwllmeyric,

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, November 29, 2005, 18:48 (6694 days ago) @ admin

1901 Pwllmeyric, near the Lodge
Mary A Watkins abt 1845 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire
Ellen Watkins abt 1882 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire
Florence Watkins abt 1878 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire

1891 Pwllmeyric,
Watkins, Mary A abt 1845 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Mathern and St Pierre Monmouthshire
Watkins, Ellen abt 1881 Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Mathern and St Pierre Monmouthshire
Watkins, Florence abt 1878 Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Mathern and St Pierre Monmouthshire

1881 29 Pwllmeyric Rd, Matherne, Monmouthshire, Wales next door to Weslyan Chapel
Mary Morgan abt 1811 Gloucestershire, England Head
Mary A. Watkins abt 1848 Chepstow, Monmouth, Wales Daughter
Eliza Watkins abt 1865 Matherne, Monmouth, Wales Granddaughter
George Watkins abt 1867 Chepstow, Monmouth, Wales Grandson
Flora Watkins abt 1878 Matherne, Monmouth, Wales Granddaughter

1871 2 Thomas Court off Nelson St Chepstow
John Jones abt 1805 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Chepstow Monmouthshire
Mary Jones abt 1805 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife Chepstow Monmouthshire
George Watkins abt 1868 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Grandson Chepstow

1871 17 Nelson St Chepstow
William Watkins abt 1838 Hayton, Herefordshire, England Head Chepstow Monmouthshire Groom ( EYTON ?)
Mary A Watkins abt 1847 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife Chepstow Monmouthshire
Mary E J Watkins abt 1870 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Chepstow Monmouthshire

1871 Moor St Chepstow
Mary A Morgan abt 1811 Bristol, Gloucestershire, England Head Chepstow Monmouthshire
Elizabeth Tipler abt 1854 Monmouthshire, Wales Servant Chepstow Monmouthshire
1871 next door Albion House , Moor st (transcribed as ATKINS)
John Watkins abt 1832 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Chepstow Monmouthshire Painter
Maria Watkins abt 1843 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife Chepstow Monmouthshire
John G Watkins abt 1868 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire
Florence Watkins abt 1870 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Chepstow Monmouthshire

Then things get a bit muddled !

1861 Moor St
John Watkins abt 1798 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Chepstow Monmouthshire Plasterer
Mary Watkins abt 1808 Walton Sardiff, Glamorgan, Wales Wife Chepstow Monmouthshire
John Watkins abt 1833 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire
Mary ann Watkins abt 1841 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Chepstow Monmouthshire

1861 Thomas Court off Nelson St Chepstow
John Jones abt 1805 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Chepstow Monmouthshire Sawyer
Mary Jones abt 1806 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife Chepstow Monmouthshire
John Jones abt 1843 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire

1861 Albion House, Albion Sq, Chepstow
John Morgan abt 1806 Kilgorug, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Chepstow Monmouthshire
Mary A Morgan abt 1810 Bristol, Gloucestershire, England Wife Chepstow Monmouthshire

1851 Moor St
John Watkins abt 1798 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Chepstow Monmouthshire Painter
Mary Watkins abt 1806 Walton, Gloucestershire, England Wife Chepstow Monmouthshire
Mary Ann Watkins abt 1840 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Chepstow Monmouthshire

1851 6 Nelson st Chepstow
John Jones abt 1805 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Chepstow Monmouthshire
Mary Jones abt 1806 Cameley, Gloucestershire, England Wife Chepstow Monmouthshire
Ann Jones abt 1841 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Chepstow Monmouthshire
Eliza Jones abt 1847 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Chepstow Monmouthshire
John Jones abt 1843 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire
Hellen Vaughn abt 1835 Tidenham, Gloucestershire, England Daughter-in-law Chepstow Monmouthshire
Mary Vaughn abt 1839 Tidenham, Gloucestershire, England Daughter-in-law Chepstow Monmouthshire

1851 Moor st Inn Keeper
John Morgan abt 1805 Killyurogg, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Chepstow Monmouthshire
Margret Morgan abt 1809 Bristol, St Pauls Wife Chepstow Monmouthshire
Eleanor Morgan abt 1834 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Chepstow Monmouthshire

--

Florence M Watkins 1894 Mathern

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, November 29, 2005, 19:07 (6694 days ago) @ admin

1901 Pwllmeyric
Frederick Watkins abt 1859 Shire Newton, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire GWR Platelayer
Charlotte Watkins abt 1856 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire
Florence M Watkins abt 1894 Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire
Frederick R Watkins abt 1890 Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire
Gertrude M Watkins abt 1897 Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire
Herbert J Watkins abt 1888 Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire
Hubert T Watkins abt 1892 Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire

1891 Pwllmeyric
Frederick Watkins abt 1859 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire GWR Platelayer
Charlotte Watkins abt 1856 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire
Frederick R Watkins abt 1890 Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire
Herbert J Watkins abt 1888 Mathern, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Muthern and St Pierre Monmouthshire

1881 1 New Hall, Matherne, Monmouthshire, Wales
Fredk. Watkins abt 1858 Shire Newton, Monmouth, Wales Lodger Farm Lab

I suspect this is the future Mrs Charlotte Watkins

1881 Pwllmeyric Pill, Matherne, Monmouthshire, Wales
Charlotte Wyatt abt 1855 Chepstow, Monmouth, Wales Servant

1871 2 Thomas St
Edward Wyatt abt 1846 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Head Chepstow Monmouthshire
Emma Wyatt abt 1850 Roughton, Radnorshire, Wales Wife Chepstow Monmouthshire
Edward J Wyatt abt 1871 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire
David Wyatt abt 1853 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Brother Chepstow Monmouthshire

1861 Thomas St nr Gate House
Thomas Wyatt abt 1811 Chalton, Northamptonshire, England Head Chepstow Monmouthshire
Ann Wyatt abt 1814 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife Chepstow Monmouthshire
Charlotte Wyatt abt 1856 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Chepstow Monmouthshire
David Wyatt abt 1853 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire
Edward Wyatt abt 1846 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire
Josey Wyatt abt 1850 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire
Obed Wyatt abt 1848 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire

1851 Thomas St ( next door to John WATKINS 1861 the Sawyer)
Thomas Wyatt abt 1812 Charlton, Northamptonshire, England Head Chepstow Monmouthshire
Ann Wyatt abt 1813 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife Chepstow Monmouthshire
Edward Wyatt abt 1843 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire
Job Wyatt abt 1838 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire
John Wyatt abt 1836 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire
Jose Wyatt abt 1850 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire
Oled Wyatt abt 1848 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire
Rhoda Wyatt abt 1841 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Chepstow Monmouthshire
Thomas Wyatt abt 1843 Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales Son Chepstow Monmouthshire

<> The trail for Fred Watkins goes cold before 1881
it is possible that Fred was his middle name

Some more work needed here!

--

Ann Watkins b1786 in Peterstow

by David Soar @, London, UK, Friday, January 27, 2006, 05:40 (6635 days ago) @ admin

Dave
I have a Watkins in my partner's ancestry.Ann Watkins b1786 in Peterstow m1803 Edward Partridge who came from Llangarron, Herefordshire. They had a daughter Amelia b1824 in Goodrich who then married Thomas Wilce in 1845 in Lydbrook. Amelia died 1894 in Lydbrook.
Maybe you have come across some of these in your delvings
David

Ann Watkins b1786 in Peterstow

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Tuesday, January 31, 2006, 04:30 (6631 days ago) @ David Soar

Dave

I don't know of any connection of Ann with my Watkins line but having said that I would not be surprised if in fact that there is. If only I could find where in Hereford that John Watkins (b.abt.1810) was born.

John Watkins 1810 Ruardean/ Herefordshire

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, January 31, 2006, 05:11 (6631 days ago) @ admin

Goodrich, Peterstow, Walford and Ruardean are within 4 miles of each other, which I guess would have been a two hour walk back in 1810 (!) Having spotted "clusters" of families before , esp. in the Forest and surrounding areas there is a reasonable chance of family connection here.

Your John W, gives/is recorded as Ruardean in 1851, Herefordshire in 1861 and Ruardean in 1871. ( and 1841 simply out of county)

--

RSS Feed of thread