William Francis EVANS 1855 Elton/Broadoak (General)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, May 06, 2008, 03:55 (5831 days ago)

1851 Westbury
Thomas Evans abt 1781 Westbury, Gloucestershire, England Head Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire
Margaret Evans abt 1787 Westbury, Gloucestershire, England Wife Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire
Edwin Evans abt 1821 Westbury, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire
Ann Evans abt 1825 Westbury, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire

Year: 1855
Month: Dec
Day: 2
Parents Surname: EVANS
Child Forenames: William Francis
Father's Forenames: Edwin
Mother's Forenames: Mary Ann
Mother's Surname:
Place of Residence: Westbury
Officiating Minister: TL Montifine
Event type: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register Reference: P354 IN 1/14
Page No: 180
Parish_Chapel: Westbury on Severn

Edwyn Evans abt 1823 Westbury, Gloucestershire, England Head Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
Mann Evans abt 1831 Westbury, Gloucestershire, England Wife Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
Henry Evans abt 1858 Westbury, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
Walter Evans abt 1860 Westbury, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
William Evans abt 1855 Westbury, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire

Edwin Evans 51
Maryann Evans 37
Henry Evans 3
Maryann Evans 2
Walter Evans 11
William Evans 15

1881 Broadoak
Edwin Evans abt 1823 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England Head Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
Mary A. Evans abt 1835 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England Wife Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
Ashborne Evans. abt 1873 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
Frank Evans abt 1875 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
Mary A. Evansabt 1869 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
Tom Evans abt 1871 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire
William Evans abt 1857 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Lilian Maude Bowdler (nee Evans) 1885 - ???

by JaneyH ⌂ @, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 21:57 (3742 days ago) @ slowhands

Having encountered an unexpectedly fast response rate to my initial post, I thought I should narrow down my research areas more specifically. I'm principally looking for more information about my great-grandmother, Lilian Maude Bowdler (nee Evans). I suspect she was known as Maude rather than Lilian (and Maud may not always have had the "e" on the end!)

Here's what I know so far:
- born Broadoak in 1885, parents Walter & Ellen Evans
- married my great-grandfather Oliver William Bowdler 1908. Marriage register entry Jan/Feb/Mar 1908, Westbury-on-Severn vol 6a page 390.
- had the following children with Oliver William: Roland Dennis (1908 - my grandfather), Dorothy Louise Lilian (1909), Hubert Edward (1911), twins Elizabeth Mavis Helen and Sarah Jane Fidora (1913), George Godwin (1915), Charles Edwin (1917), Oliver W (1920) and Norman (1921). I've read an article on another family history website that suggests Norman may have been adopted to a family in the West Midlands.

I've found a newspaper article from the Gloucester Journal dated April 1922 which relates to a court hearing at Littledean Petty Sessions in which Lilian Maude Bowdler was charged with "wandering abroad" in Cinderford at night. She was asked to go the workhouse but had refused to go. There follows a sad story in which husband Oliver William Bowdler acknowledges his wife's behaviour, and explains that she has abandoned the family several times before. He further notes that he has eight children in the workhouse, whom he supports financially, and that he is in receipt of a War pension. Given the threat of prison, Lilian Maude Bowdler "expressed a willingness to go to Westbury for a few days". I assume this means the workhouse.

So - my areas of further research are as follows:

(1) Where might I find records of the Westbury workhouse? Would they be in the Gloucestershire County Archives? I'd love to find out how long Lilian (and indeed Lilian & Oliver's children) were there, and what their lives were like while living there.

(2) In relation to Lilian Maude's mental illness, the story my Mum tells is that grandad (Dennis) and his sister Dot lived for a while with an "aunt" Mollie (definitely -ie and not -y). Thus far I've been unable to trace her as a "proper" aunt - none of Oliver William's sisters had this name, nor the wives of his brothers. I don't think that Lilian Maude's sisters had this name nor her sisters-in-law. There must have been some substance to the relationship between my grandfather and "aunt" Mollie since my mother (Molly) was bequeathed a set of silver-backed hairbrushes and hand-mirror engraved with the letter 'M'. Mum recalls visiting Cinderford when she was a child (c.1950) and meeting "aunt" Mollie. Perhaps Mollie was in fact someone who worked at the workhouse?

(3) My searches so far have not yielded any information about Oliver William's war service. He must have seen active service to have been in receipt of a war pension, and he also conceived two children during WW1 so must have been home for some of the war. Any suggestions about where (and with which regiment) he may have served would be most appreciated. I know that many WW1 records have been lost so local sources may be crucial here.

(4) I don't know what happened to Lilian Maude Bowdler. Oliver moved to south Wales in 1922/23 and had further children with a woman whose maiden name was Brooks. However I have not yet found a marriage certificate to indicate Oliver William actually married her, nor evidence of either a divorce from Lilian Maude nor her death. Oliver William then moved to north Devon in 1926/27 and had two further children to partner Brooks (one of whom sadly died as a baby). The next information I have is of Oliver William's divorce in 1945 (via a newspaper article that annoyingly doesn't mention who he divorced from) followed by a (documented) marriage to Beatrice Manley in 1946. He had three further children with Beatrice. These are my Mum's aunts and uncles, although they are younger than she is! The big question is, what happened to Lilian Maude Bowdler? Did she die in the 1920s in the Forest of Dean? Did she move away from the area?

I appreciate that this is a lot to take in, but I hope that by sharing the detail I will have (a) given all your readers an insight into the lives of people from the Forest of Dean area and (b) possibly have stirred some connections for those who may be able to help me in my research.

Best regards, JaneyH

Lilian Maude Bowdler (nee Evans) 1885 - ???

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 22:36 (3742 days ago) @ JaneyH

Have you seen a record of a William Bowdler on the WW1 Medal Cards?

Regimental Number 2723
Private - 1st Monmouthshire Regiment
Medals - Victory, British War and 19(14?)/15 star
Theatre of War - France
Entry 13/02/15
Discharged (?) 31/03/16

No other information on card.

Could he have gone by the name William?

Lilian Maude Bowdler nee Evans, Workhouse Records

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, January 24, 2014, 00:39 (3742 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Hi Janey,
there's a truly excellent online reference site for the UK Poor Law & Workhouse system, the very informative Westbury page is
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/WestburyOnSevern/
Their Records are indeed held at Gloster Archives, namely:
"Gloucestershire Archives, Clarence Row, Alvin Street, Gloucester GL1 3DW. Holdings include Guardians' minute books (1835-1930 with gaps); Ledgers (1835-1930, with gaps); Officers' service register (1850-1930); etc."
http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives/article/107703/Archives-Homepage

As can be seen the Workhouses site carries 1881 Census records for staff & inmates, so a little late for Maude. Don't forget the Workhouses, like Hospitals etc, were all covered by the usual Census' so any inmates during Census night would be listed as such and can be found in the usual way. Ditto within the BMD records. However in more recent years as in Maude's case the address wasn't made so obvious on the Records, to "protect" the person involved. The W-o-S workhouse was known as "Number One Westbury High Street" or similar, as this old thread details.
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=24456

Re Maude's latter years, not a certainty of course, but my searches for her within FreeBMD etc suggest that like Oliver she died in Devon, as per Slowhand's earlier post:

Name:Lilian M Bowdler
Birth Date:abt 1884
Date of Registration:Jun 1952
Age at Death:68
Registration District:Devon Central
Inferred County:Devon
Volume:7a
Page:335

Name:Oliver W Bowdler
Birth Date:abt 1884
Date of Registration:Mar 1953
Age at Death:69
Registration District:Devon Central
Inferred County:Devon
Volume:7a
Page:418

Apologies for not reading the thread more thoroughly - do you know where her children were living, mightn't she be have been with one of them ?

Lilian Maude BOWDLER (nee EVANS) 1885 - 1952

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, January 24, 2014, 07:09 (3742 days ago) @ JaneyH

Having encountered an unexpectedly fast response rate to my initial post, I thought I should narrow down my research areas more specifically. I'm principally looking for more information about my great-grandmother, Lilian Maude Bowdler (nee Evans). I suspect she was known as Maude rather than Lilian (and Maud may not always have had the "e" on the end!)

OK Mollie is a pet name often used for Margaret or Mary

Have you ruled these out too ?

BOWDLER Oliver
EVANS Maude
Forest of Dean Westbury-on-Severn (FoD) Register Office
1908 14 63

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by JaneyH ⌂ @, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Monday, March 03, 2014, 16:05 (3704 days ago) @ slowhands

I thought I'd just post a quick update here, given I had so much help in the early stages (slowhands, Mike, jefff).

I applied for a copy of the death certificate of Lilian M Bowdler from Devon in 1952. It is indeed the "right" one - her details are recorded as "of Severn Street, Newnham, Gloucestershire. The divorced wife of Oliver William Bowdler."

The place of death is Deepway, Exminster in Devon, which I've since found was a mental hospital. So, some thirty years after being sent to Westbury Workhouse for "wandering abroad" in Cinderford, my great-grandmother ended her days in a different institution many miles from home. I have no idea of her movements between 1922 and her death in 1952. The National Archives website indicates that admission records for Deepway are held at Devon County Record Office in Exeter, but I'm not sure whether I want to explore these as I imagine they would make for grim reading.

It's interesting that Oliver William moved to Devon in 1926/27 with his then partner (not wife, as far as I can see) Florence Brooks. When did Lilian Maude move there? I assume it might have been so she could be close to some of her children. (My grandfather Dennis lived in North Devon as a young man in the 1920s and 1930s; he then met my grandmother, married, had my uncle and Mum and lived there until about 1946.) When I shared this information with my Mum she had no idea her grandmother had lived so long.

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Monday, March 03, 2014, 20:50 (3704 days ago) @ JaneyH

If you haven't seen them already there are a number of reports in the Exeter and Plymouth Gazette, The Western Times, The Gloucester Journal and The Western Morning News which mention, sadly, the tribulations of an Oliver William Bowdler or Oliver Bowdler. These include a failed business, a divorce, a fine and a compensation case for a Dennis Bowdler.

I don't know for certain if they refer to your Oliver but it seems possible. I would be quite happy to transcribe them if of interest although it may take me a while.

by JaneyH ⌂ @, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Monday, March 03, 2014, 21:59 (3703 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Mike - Many thanks for this.

After the initial post alerting me to the court case at Littledean Petty Sessions involving Lilian Maude "wandering abroad" in Cinderford I took out a 2-day trial subscription at the Newspaper Archive to see what else I could find.

While I was very much time-limited I think I found most of the articles you mentioned. The compensation case related to my grandfather Dennis who was injured when a car backfired, which meant the starting handle smashed into his leg causing considerable injury. Reading between the lines I wonder whether Oliver William was trying to get his hands on his son's compensation entitlement to buy a smallholding! The divorce in 1945 I now believe to relate to Lilian Maud, given that despite considerable research I've been unable to find any record of a marriage to Florence Brooks in between. I also have a record of a meeting of creditors from a 1932 article, suggesting financial difficulties.

I think this all goes to prove that Oliver William was a bit of a "rogue". Certainly with three women in his life, 18 children (that's what I've documented so far; family stories suggest 22); and numerous different and varied jobs mean he certainly "got about" a bit.

by JaneyH ⌂ @, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Saturday, July 06, 2019, 15:25 (1753 days ago) @ JaneyH

Earlier this year another family historian encouraged me to apply for the records for my great-grandmother held at Devon Archives in Exeter. While initially I wanted a trip down there and do the research myself, it's hard to fit it in while working full-time and family life in general. So ... I asked for a quote for having the work done by the staff there and they reckoned it would be about an hour's work, costing £34. This may seem like a lot, but when you compare the cost of travelling from Kent to Exeter, and an overnight stay, it's relatively cheap.

I've now got copies of both medical and administrative records, and a sad story they tell. After agreeing to 'go to Westbury for a few days' as the 1922 newspaper article stated, she ended up staying there for seven years. In 1929 she moved to Gloucester Mental Hospital - I'm assuming this may have been because Westbury closed around then (or at least no longer took patients such as Maud). In 1938 she was moved from Gloucester to Deepway just outside Exeter. The move seems mainly to do with funding: her husband had moved to Devon by this time so Gloucestershire didn't want to fund her care any longer.

She was schizophrenic; she had delusions and hallucinations, and was on suicide watch throughout her time there. No family ever visited, and there are only a small handful of letters from family members. There are various legal letters from 1944-45 relating to my great-grandfather divorcing her, and medical staff having to certify as to her condition. (The Matrimonial Causes Act 1937 had introduced mental incapacity as a grounds for divorce.) She died in 1952 from stomach cancer and was buried in the hospital cemetery. While the hospital has been turned into luxury apartments, the spot that was the cemetery is not built on. I've looked at pictures on google streetview and - perhaps - one day I'll visit tp pay my respects.

Bowdler family - Aunt Mollie finally located!

by JaneyH ⌂ @, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Saturday, July 06, 2019, 15:08 (1753 days ago) @ JaneyH

Five years on from this thread and I have learned much more about my Bowdler ancestors, so I thought I would share an update.

The mysterious 'aunt Mollie' is has been identified. I've been in contact with a new member of this forum (who turns out to be a first cousin to my grandfather, Roland Dennis Bowdler - there are some funny age-gaps!). She also recalled aunt Mollie as a child and said that she had worked as a nurse for much of her life.

This immediately rang bells with my great-grandfather's sister Mary Bowdler (mentioned already on this thread). Having checked back to the Censuses she was a sick nurse at a private residence in Painswick in 1901, and a sick nurse again in 1911 - this time to a lady of independent means in Paddington, London. After that the trail went cold.

Several Ancestry trees show her marrying an Alfred Webb in 1914 in W-o-S district, having two daughters and then dying in 1939 in Stroud. (This Alfred Webb was a Wales rugby international, by the way.) There was one small problem with this Mary - my Mum couldn't have met her, because she died in 1939 and Mum was only born in 1943!

On another forum someone suggested I look at a marriage of Mary Bowdler to James Walter Harris, in Hereford in 1916. I knew from my research into family members in Westbury workhouse that another of my great-grandfather's sisters had moved to Hereford, so I took a gamble and ordered the marriage certificate. This was the correct marriage - bride's father shown as George Godwin Bowdler, occupation gamekeeper, and her age matched. The icing on the cake was that her sister Florence (who lived in Hereford) was one of the witnesses.

With this I've found her in the 1939 Register - widowed and living in Gloucester, and finally her death in 1953, which WOULD fit with my Mum meeting her as a small child. The probate entry shows that one of her brothers was an executor. Her last address given was 15 Buckshaft Road, Ruspidge. Buckshaft Road, Ruspidge was almost a 'family' road at this time: in the 1939 Register brother William John Bowdler lived at number 2 with his family; sister Annie Gwendoline Edwards was at number 17, along with elderly mother Sarah Jane Bowdler, while brother Hubert Roy Bowdler lived at number 27!

It just goes to show that paying £11 for a marriage certificate can be a good investment!

RSS Feed of thread