Absolom Trigg Sarah Trigg Family married 1855 (General)

by J Edward, Thursday, May 08, 2008, 00:24 (5804 days ago)

Lucy Trigg in the 1881 census was a daughter of Absolom and Sarah Trigg. She married Edward Young a collier in 1898. From my research to date I think she is a relative. I have 3 photos. I have been told that they are one of Aunt Lucy standing next to my grandmother as a baby. The second photo is Uncle Ted the husband of Aunt Lucy. The photo is circa 1880 to 1890 The third photo is of a couple. The photo is circa 1860. It could be Absolom amd Sarah but I have no proof. I wonder if any one has photos of any of the family so I can confirm the authenticity of my photos. I will find out how to post my photos on a notice board if that is possible. (I'm new to this website)

Old Photos

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Thursday, May 08, 2008, 05:13 (5804 days ago) @ J Edward

will find out how to post my photos on a notice board if that is possible.

If you have some old photos of Forest of Dean people or places we can add them in our Photo Gallery
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/photo-gallery

Old Photos

by J Edward, Friday, May 09, 2008, 18:36 (5802 days ago) @ admin

Thank you I will organise to duplicate them so I can do that.

Absolom Trigg Sarah Trigg Family married 1855

by jimashton @, Monday, June 09, 2008, 04:39 (5772 days ago) @ J Edward

Hi J Edwards

I cannot help you regarding the photographs, but can help you with information, as you have already done for me. I didn't know that Lucy had married an Edward Young, but have just obtained the marriage detail from this web site's Parish Records.

My main area of research is the Marfell family. Lucy was the youngest of 8 children of Absalom Trigg & Sarah Marfell who married 2.6.1855 Newnham, the oldest was Jonathon Marfell Trigg born 2.10.1855. Absalom Trigg was born 1827 one of the 7 children of Benjamin Trigg and Mary Marfell. Sarah Marfell (who married Absalom Trigg)was one of the 5 children of Jonathon Marfell & Phebe Meek.

1861 Census East Dean RG9 1754/168/169
Benjamin Trigg 72 East Dean
Absalom 34 son Coal Miner East Dean
Sarah wife 30 Hereford
Benjamin son 4 East Dean
Elizabeth dtr 1 & 1/2 East Dean

1871 Census East Dean 2597/129
Absalom Trigg 48 Coal Miner East Dean
Sarah 39East Dean
Jonathon 15 Iron Miner East Dean
Benjamin 13 Iron Miner East Dean
Elizabeth 11 East Dean
Phebe 9 East Dean
Sophia 7 East Dean
Mary 5 East Dean
Absalom 2 East Dean
Lucy 8 mths East Dean

1881 Census
Dwelling:
Census Place: (Westbury On Severn) East Dean, Gloucester, England
Source: FHL Film 1341608 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 2521 Folio 70 Page 3
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Absolem TRIGG M 53 M East Dean, Gloucester, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Haullier
Sarah TRIGG M 50 F East Dean, Gloucester, England
Rel: Wife
Jonathan TRIGG U 25 M East Dean, Gloucester, England
Rel: Son
Occ: Assistant (Haullier)
Benjamin TRIGG U 23 M East Dean, Gloucester, England
Occ: Miner
Mary TRIGG 15 F East Dean, Gloucester, England
Rel: Daughter
Occ: Scholar
Absolem TRIGG 13 M East Dean, Gloucester, England
Lucy TRIGG 11 F East Dean, Gloucester, England
Rel: Daughter

1891 Census Wigpool East Dean RG12/2004/125
Absalom Trigg 63 Farmer East Dean
Sarah 59 East Dean
Absalom 22 East Dean
Lucy 20 East Dean

1841 Census Hawthornes Hope Mansell
John Marfell 46 East Dean
Phebe 46 Ruardean
Sophia 11 Hope Mansell
Sarah 9 Hope Mansell
James Wm 7 Hope Mansell
Lucy 5 Hope Mansell
James Brother 69 East Dean

1851 Census Hawthornes Hope Mansell
Jonathon Marfell 56 East Dean
Phebe 56 Ruardean
Sophia 21 Hope Mansell
Sarah 19 Hope Mansell
James Wm 17 Hope Mansell
Lucy 15 Hope Mansell
James Brother 54 East Dean
Mary Dove niece 12 Mitcheldean

1861 Census Hawthornes Hope Mansell
Jonathon Marfell 66 East Dean farmer 27 acres
Phebe 66 Ruardean
Sophia 31 Hope Mansell
Jonathon Trigg grandson 5 East Dean
James Marfell brother 64 East Dean

Jim Ashton

Absalom Trigg/Twigg & wife emigrated 1863

by ChrisW @, Monday, June 09, 2008, 07:53 (5771 days ago) @ jimashton

Hi Jim

Is this one anything to do with the above family?

Transcribers Guild

"Brothers Pride" to Lyttelton, New Zealand 1863

148 Twigg Absalom wife Farm Labourer Gloucestershire

Followed by:

We append the list of births, marriages and deaths on board the Brother's Pride:

Births:
November 11, H. Trigg twins

There was sickness aboard the ship and 44 passengers did not survive the journey.

Lyttelton, New Zealand
8 December 1863

From the "Lyttelton Times" December 8 1863 Additional newspaper article, appearing in the "Lyttelton Times", December 10 1863:

On Tuesday last we briefly noticed the arrival of this vessel at the Heads, and although we possessed the information, since proved to be too true, respecting the amount of sickness on board, for the sake of the friends on shore we refrained from publishing the melancholy intelligence that fourty-four deaths had occurred during the passage.
In our columns will be found a list of sufferers as well as the number of births. We hear that Captain Sproul, on board the vessel, was refused the charge of the ship, and the offer of the pilot to place his boat and crew at the service of the ship to obtain fresh supplies for the sick children was also refused.
On Tuesday evening the anchor was raised and sail made before half a gale of wind blowing from the south-west, and at daylight the next morning the vessel was out of sight. She returned yesterday morning when off Camp Bay, and was immediately ordered to hoist the Yellow Jack.
This peremtory order of the Health Commissioner not appearing to suit this cavalier officer, in two or three hours the anchor was again up and, with the assistance of the light breeze from the north-east, the Brother's Pride was brought up just astern of the Lancashire Witch. We presume the authorities will not permit their orders, to be set at defiance, and the law treated with contempt.

Transcriber's Notes:
* Although a fair few of the birth and death names appear to be
incorrect (surnames spelled incorrectly or surnames that do not appear in
the passenger listing), I have not corrected these from the printed
manifest.

OOH! Just found it on the Emigration Index!

by jimashton @, Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 02:59 (5771 days ago) @ ChrisW

Hi Chris

This cannot be the Absalom who is the subject of this posting as I have census records beyond the date of sailing to New Zealand.

However I do have another Absalom Trigg (I have 6 in total) baptised 7.8.1831 son of Benjamin Trigg & Elizabeth Roberts (already detailed in another posting Trigg's of Hasely Hill).
Absalom Trigg 1831 married Hannah Cowmeadow baptised 13.11.1834 on 8.6.1861 Forest Church. I have census data for him up to 1861, so could be the "wife of Absalom" mentioned.

Upon Benjamin Trigg's death in 1836, Absalom's mother Elizabeth remarried to John Glover.

1841 Census
Benjamin Trigg 16 Cole Miner
Edwin 11 Cole Miner
Absolom 8
All born in county

1851 Census
GLOVER John 45 Coal Miner Westbury on Severn
Elizabeth 55 Dean Forest
Edwin Stepson 22 Coal Miner Ruardean
Absolom Stepson 18 Coal Miner Ruardean
GLOVER George 11 Scholar Ruardean

1861Census
Elizabeth Glover abt 1796 East DeanWife
George Glover abt 1839 East Dean Son
John Glover abt 1813 Little Dean Head
Absalom Trigg abt 1835 East Dean Stepson

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 03:03 (5771 days ago) @ jimashton

John Glover abt 1811 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest,
Elizabeth Glover abt 1796 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
George Glover abt 1839 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
Absolam Trigg abt 1833 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
Benjamin Trigg abt 1823 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
Edwin Trigg abt 1830 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by elfield, Friday, June 20, 2008, 10:42 (5760 days ago) @ jimashton

Hello,
Just thought I'd let you know, this is my Absolum. There was a lot of confusion between the two - esp as both had father Benjamin.
I have put Hannah Cowmeadow as the wife, BUT there are also 2 records that could fit. The 2nd is Anna Bowkett (marriage April/June 1861) Is this marriage connected with your Absolum???
My Absolum (g.g.grandfather) eventually remarried in NZ (twice) and had about 11 kids :).

by jimashton @, Saturday, June 21, 2008, 06:00 (5760 days ago) @ elfield

Hi Elfield

Absalom Trigg baptised 7.8.1831, who married Hannah Cowmeadow 8.6.1861 would have been my 4th cousin 3 times removed and if this is "your" Absalom, then we are related and I would be very interested in descendancy detail for him. Perhaps you could email me via my email link.

Regarding Ann Bowkett, she married Cornelius Baldwin 26.5.1861. He was the son of Edward Baldwin & Lydia. Edward Baldwin's second marriage was to Mary Ann Cloudley 9.3.1890 (I have the marriage certificate), unfortunately she died in the County Lunatic Asylum 4.12.1899 (I have the death certificate) Mary Ann Cloudley's first husband had been William Marfell.

Jim Ashton

by GARY TRIGG @, CINDERFORD, Monday, March 18, 2013, 13:28 (4028 days ago) @ ChrisW

Absalom married Hanna Cowmeadow and emmigrated to New Zealand aboard the Brothers Pride. She died on board aged 28

The ship sailed July 1863 arrived Dec. Voyage took 145 days

by jimashton @, Friday, March 22, 2013, 12:46 (4024 days ago) @ GARY TRIGG

Hi Gary

A long time between postings, the last being in 2008. I "think" you must be the Garry Trigg in my Family Tree, if so you are my 7th cousin once removed. You will probably know most of what follows, but for the sake of the thread :

Absalom Trigg was my 4th cousin 3 times removed born 6 Jun 1831. His first wife Hannah did indeed die aboard the Brothers Pride, together with another 43 people :

From the "Lyttelton Times" December 8 1863 Additional newspaper article, appearing in the "Lyttelton Times", December 10 1863:
On Tuesday last we briefly noticed the arrival of this vessel at the Heads, and although we possessed the information, since proved to be too true, respecting the amount of sickness on board, for the sake of the friends on shore we refrained from publishing the melancholy intelligence that fourty-four deaths had occurred during the passage.
In our columns will be found a list of sufferers as well as the number of births. We hear that Captain Sproul, on board the vessel, was refused the charge of the ship, and the offer of the pilot to place his boat and crew at the service of the ship to obtain fresh supplies for the sick children was also refused.
On Tuesday evening the anchor was raised and sail made before half a gale of wind blowing from the south-west, and at daylight the next morning the vessel was out of sight. She returned yesterday morning when off Camp Bay, and was immediately ordered to hoist the Yellow Jack.
This peremtory order of the Health Commissioner not appearing to suit this cavalier officer, in two or three hours the anchor was again up and, with the assistance of the light breeze from the north-east, the Brother's Pride was brought up just astern of the Lancashire Witch. We presume the authorities will not permit their orders, to be set at defiance, and the law treated with contempt.

Absalom then married Annie Grundy born 1849 Wales on 11 Feb 1867 Christchurch, NZ. They had 2 children, the second born 1871 and Annie died 16 Aug 1873.
Absalom remarried 18 Mar 1879 Wainui, NZ to Esther Arnold born 18 Jan 1853. They had 8 children and Esther died 14 Nov 1942 Okaihau, NZ. Absalom died 5 Jun 1900 Okaihau, NZ.

One of Absalom & Esther Arnold's children Percival Arnold Trigg born 17 May 1881 married twice, Lucy Emily Snell and Eva Hilde Edge. With his first wife Lucy he had a great grandson Garry John.

Jim Ashton

by GARY TRIGG @, CINDERFORD, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 11:20 (4023 days ago) @ jimashton

Hi Jim,
Absalom was my greatgrandfathers (William)brother, I think thats called a graetgranduncle I suppoose
Gary

by J Edward, Wednesday, July 02, 2008, 14:17 (5748 days ago) @ jimashton

Hi jimashton
I am excited about the prospect of finding more out about my family. The hard part is there is no one living of that part of the family who can give me information. My next task is to get some birth certificates to confirm my research. I am also getting my photos scanned to post on the picture gallery.
So keep watching for more info.
Lucy's brother Benjamin I think is my grandmothers father My grandmother Mary Trigg married Charles christopher Steward. She was a cook and he a butler for a family .The family's name was Burnham of Mayfair London.

Cheers jedward

by Taffia @, Thursday, November 21, 2019, 16:41 (1589 days ago) @ jimashton

Hi there am tracing my Dad's side.
I am getting bit confused as am tracing the Benjamin Trigg b1789 who married a Mary Marfell b 1795. They had daughter Elizabeth b 1819, married a Thomas Meredith. They had children Lucy, Samuel, Mary, Martha and Thomas.
Thanks very much for any help

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, November 21, 2019, 19:07 (1589 days ago) @ Taffia

Public Members Tree is on Ancestry

In this tree it states: Benjamin's parents: were Benjamin TRIGG and Priscilla WELSH who married at Newland, 19 Aug 1779

----

Marriage at Abbenhall -
15 July 1816

Benjamin TRIGGE
residence: Weston, Herefordshire

Mary MARFELL of this Parish

witnesses: Absalom MARFELL and Sarah TRIGG

----

There is a previous thread from jim ashton dated Tuesday March 11 2014

Headed Marfell Wills

----

' This John MARFELL 1769-18 Sept 1840 another of my 4 times Great Grandfathers etc etc

His first wife Elizabeth ROBERTS 1769-6 Mar 1802 bore him 5 children, including Lucy MARFELL etc.

Another daughter Mary MARFELL 1795-1840 who married the Benjamin TRIGG

---

another link headed

Benjamin TRIGG Headache - dated August 15, 2009

----

Checking for a Benjamin TRIGG as a witness

there is a marriage at English Bicknor 21 December 1795

of a Thomas TRIGG - residence: living on land adjoing to this Parish
to Margaret HILL

WITNESSES: Benjamin TRIGG and Richard TERRETT

----

There possibly appears an earlier Benjamin born to Benjamin and Priscilla, christened at Mitcheldean - 29 March 1780

surname spelt: THRYGE

by Taffia @, Friday, November 22, 2019, 01:10 (1589 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thanks for the info, still very confusing. Have a lot of research to do now. It looks as if Elizabeth Trigg 1819 -1903 is my 4 x g. Grandmother. I have also discovered her siblings were Sarah Ann, John and Absolam Trigg. That info ties in with Benjamin Trigg and Mary Marfell. Thanks

RSS Feed of thread